Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody recommend Zmax oil additive? like does that stuff really work or are they b.s.ing? :confused:
my dad is a mechanic for over 10 years and says full synthtic valvoline or
M.B1 and castrol gtx edge already has alot of additives.
so if theres anyone out there who tried zmax??

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I find little purpose to oil additives. Good synth oils already have additives in them, and things like Lucas oil additive has been shown to create air bubbles in a geared application.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I find little purpose to oil additives. Good synth oils already have additives in them, and things like Lucas oil additive has been shown to create air bubbles in a geared application.
I saw you say Luca and got excited...

Yeah like mentioned, synth oil has a lot of additives, it would probably be overkill.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Very true! A former friend (yes former, turned out to be a tool) had some issues with that in his C900, and certainly helped make the motor run worse. It aggravated the bearing noises he was getting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea my previous oil change i put that stuff and my dad trippd out about it, but i did not know. so i drained the oil out and ran with fully syn as always. it zmax+fully syn castrol edge gtx = ALOT OF MONEY Thrown away lol

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
actually... I was having some valve ticking pretty loud on the 99 9-5 with 180Kmiles... last oil change it got a can of BG MOA and the valve noise is GONE.

I will probably use it again. (every other oil change because it stays in there a while)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
huh? it had the noise for over a year and MANY Mobil 1 oil changes already :lol:

So changing the oil before never made it go away.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
i got to say that, that Engine Restore stuff works pretty good. my old Vig used to eat a qrt of oil every 800 miles put that stuff in it and it stopped eating oil and runs like a chamop now that dcr99vig has it.....figures...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts