Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a list of things I've learned NOT to do in the process of working on my SPG.

Feel free to add to this list of do-nots.

- Do not disassemble a car in preparation for new parts before ordering new parts, unless disassembly is diagnostic (to find out what part to replace)
- Do not disassemble your car or engine over the course of 6 months
- Do not store screws & misc loose parts together in tupperware canisters, grouped by date (IE all parts removed today, go in this cup). [Rather, store screws, nuts, bolts, small parts by Part or Location and LABEL THEM (IE intake manifold bolts)]
- Do not move the car from one garage to another once it is disassembled
- Do not move or re-arrange the shelves holding your nuts/bolts/parts while the car is disassembled
- Do not use required bolts for key parts to lift the engine with a hoist, especially if the bolts are too long, and are prone to bending under the weight of the engine, forcing you to scavenge replacement bolts to re-attach a manifold.
- Do not attempt to strip a car down, upgrade several large key components all at once, and change engine management systems, and expect to put it all back together and get it running without any headaches as your first big "car project".

On a positive note, once I find my oil pressure sender, I can fill the car with fluids and should be able to turn the engine over. Then I can start trying to get it running off the MS box.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Somtimes the most easy way to learn is the hardest. Ive been there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
We all learn my making mistakes. In my book, the only failure is the failure to participate!

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Yeah, I've done a bunch of stupid things with my car. It took me a while to overcome my propensity to overtighten/strip bolts. "Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement."

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The best way to learn is be screwing up.

Sounds like you are getting close.
Ya.

I believe the goal of getting it running and driving nice with megasquirt by the Dyno day is realistic.

Then move to DI or EDIS to control timing, and let Jordan from MAP tune it for E85.

It's also amazing how much space the wiring looms take up in the engine bay. Once you get the spiderweb of wires put back in and plugged in, there is like no space left.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
MAP is running a sale on tuning right now.

I think it's like 20% off per hour or something.

You have a wideband already, right?

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, LC1 for the megasquirt. I hope to be doing my own datalogging with megatune and my laptop while it's on the dyno.

Anyways, this thread is for others to post about what they've learned NOT to do :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Damn spacers for the control arms... I forget to stick them in almost everytime and then have to back track 3 steps. No more.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Amish, you should post here after each modification you do to your car*

Really though, this is good advice to people who have pipe dreams bigger than their mechanical experience! Tackle ONE element of the project at a time - advice I actually gave your before you started this project ;-)

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Amish, you should post here after each modification you do to your car*

Really though, this is good advice to people who have pipe dreams bigger than their mechanical experience! Tackle ONE element of the project at a time - advice I actually gave your before you started this project ;-)
I didn't initally set out to do a project this big. I started with a small project of "Detailing the engine bay, cleaning & possibly painting a few parts" for things like the valve cover, intake manifold, etc.

That turned into, while I'm in here, I'll upgrade the Head.

Then the BF! manifold group buy.

Then I picked up a bigger turbo.

Then I picked up a megasquirt setup.

And the project snowballed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I didn't initally set out to do a project this big. I started with a small project of "Detailing the engine bay, cleaning & possibly painting a few parts" for things like the valve cover, intake manifold, etc.

That turned into, while I'm in here, I'll upgrade the Head.

Then the BF! manifold group buy.

Then I picked up a bigger turbo.

Then I picked up a megasquirt setup.

And the project snowballed.
Doesnt it always ? Thought I would clean the interior, scored some Aero trims,bought some AERO seats, had no memory unit in the drivers seat, Gotta get one, got a fella in the states to send me one,had it installed because it was on a left had drive seat had to get another guard for the side as the one I got from the states is back to front for a right hand side drivers seat, did the A pillars while I was there am doing the B-pillars,C pillars on the weekend am about to change the carpet, nothing wrong with the old one its just grey and I hate it, about to change the steering wheel too, its on order.

It would look better with a different one on, noticed my ugly stockies, have changed them too. Realised the paint looks a bit dodgy, on that now, etc etc etc

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Another one for the "what not to do"...

A lot of times you'll read a procedure for replacing XXX, and the instructions say to remove YYY. You look at the placement of XXX and YYY, and immediately conclude that YYY has no bearing on XXX and the experts have no idea what their talking about - so you set off unbolting XXX.

Halfway through you realize that you need to remove YYY.

So you have to remove YYY with XXX halfway out and it's a bigger pain than you could've imagined. Would've been much easier if you'd just followed directions, dummy!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Never rush any work on a old Saab.

Don't expect a first time amateur trans rebuild to be "No big deal"

Always use plenty of silicon gasket maker on the engine/trans gasket.

Don't expect your 20+ year old, formerly neglected Saab to be perfect.

Every project will take more time and $$$ than you originally thought.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
i did this to my 88 spg and realized that it was a rot box and was like "SHIT"

so i bought another car and do it the right way a peice at a time now that i got the MS running iam adressing the other things as i go

1 - 20 of 24 Posts