Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now know this from experience. you at least need a solid skid plate to successfully complete a "Rally" jump.

last night I was feelin a little reckless, doin some spirited driving. I came up to a set of RR tracks that I know anyone can get air off of. I said to myself "Fuck it" proceeded to accelerate over the speed limit and launch my car off the tracks at about 55mph.

I'd say I traveled about 30' through the air at about a max height of 1.5' off the ground. the car landed square, bottomed out, and I continued on. the oil light promptly came on, and I continued on, 3 miles back home. I parked the car looked under it and couldn't see anything without a light. I walked into the garage and did some more work on my Datsun.

this morning I went out to look at the Oil pan, and I began to laugh hysterically.

now, the story in picture form...

·
Registered
859 Posts
wow shit got REAL

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd like everyone to know, I paid $300 for this car. I have the parts and the ability to fix what I broke. and this was the most fun I've ever had driving a stock saab.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, that's a serious oil trail... Was the car knocking by the end?
surprisingly, no. The engine wasn't knocking at all by the time I got home. I'm going to put a new oil pan on it tomorrow and see what happens. worst case scenario I scrap the car for what I paid for it. I don't feel like swapping a motor.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Lol dude howd you even get it to drive 3more miles.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Johnny if you decide to scrap it and you have black interior let's talk

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Always fun to tear up cheap stuff. I bruised my heels (wearing sandals) landing my -99 doing that. ;)

Thumbs down for environmental imact. Oil spill

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it drove the whole way home without a problem, it sounded like I had an exhaust leak, but I'm not sure if that was because of the open crank case or if I actually broke the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Always fun to tear up cheap stuff. I bruised my heels (wearing sandals) landing my -99 doing that. ;)

Thumbs down for environmental imact. Oil spill
Ha. That reminds me of when someone I know who was a semi-hippy in the 70's telling me about the time he left Wisconsin for Texas with a fresh rebuild on a VW bus. He wanted to do a 500 mile oil change so he just did it on the side of the road somewhere in the middle of no where. Just pulled the drain plug, and let it spill.

Nice job TJ.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Nuts. Guess the saabs don't fly well afterall. My old mustang would fly like a champ. Always came down real nice.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it came down nice, it didn't really feel like anything broke, but when that light popped on I knew it was bad news.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
wow... that's down right impressive.

my -99 has been off the ground a number of times too. my sister's fiance was following me the one time, and said a cleared a bridge (the road came up just before a short bridge over a creek). Time to build a skid plate i guess!

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
lol, sweet!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts