Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In b4 "check craigslist"

So my GF just got an internship with the state senate from January to April. This means she will have to move to Albany, between late December and early January. So she is starting to look for housing now.

I'm looking for advice as far as, what is a reasonable monthly price to pay (either 1BR appt, 2BR with roomate, etc.) I imagine it would be much cheaper than in NYC but don't wanna get ripped off.

Also good areas to look, areas to stay away from due to shady public or whatnot.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Rent is too damn high!

Plenty of nice areas in Albany near some of the college campuses that will have reasonable rents. The area around the College of St. Rose has some nice neighborhoods as long as you stay south of Central Ave. It should be easy to find a shared apartment there. The area around Lark Street (again, south of Central) is a hip area with lots going on. Walkable to the Capitol.

Check Metroland Online classifieds. Metroland is Albany's version of the Village Voice.

The Albany Times Union is the local paper that will also have rental classifieds.

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
x2 on what Rick said. You don't want to be anywhere North of Central Ave or East of Delaware (South End). Clist is a good place to find reasonable lodging. I'd say any more than $1000/mo and you're overpaying...depending upon location.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yup unfortunately it fell through :(

Can someone tell me about 204 WASHINGTON AV

google maps link: 204 washington ave albany ny - Google Maps

Thats another place she can look at but someone said it is on the "bad side" of lark street..

Im looking at google maps and im not sure if its east of the street you told me to avoid going east of..

Any insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will let her know! thank you!

Question, do you have any idea how crowded the buses get? She found a nice place thats a bit far out (10-15 minute bus ride, shes not bringing her car up) but she hates riding crowded buses so she is not too interested in that, otherwise its a nice place and the landlord is a nice police officer... if the buses dont get that bad i might get her to consider it.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Yup unfortunately it fell through :(

Can someone tell me about 204 WASHINGTON AV

google maps link: 204 washington ave albany ny - Google Maps

Thats another place she can look at but someone said it is on the "bad side" of lark street..

Im looking at google maps and im not sure if its east of the street you told me to avoid going east of..

Any insight? Thanks.
That's not too bad really. There is a little park there. Patch of grass mainly. I used to work in that neighborhood at the UAlbany Downtown Campus which is right on the triangle between Western and Washington. That is an ethnically mixed neighborhood. Shalimar Indian restaurant is in that neighborhood--Awesome! And there is a Carribean restaurant there too that is good. Not an upscale neighborhood, but a good melting pot one. Not unlike some SOHO or Tribecca spots. I used to go to a punk/new wave hangout there called the QE2 back in the day. It was in an old White Tower Hamburger joint.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Will let her know! thank you!

Question, do you have any idea how crowded the buses get? She found a nice place thats a bit far out (10-15 minute bus ride, shes not bringing her car up) but she hates riding crowded buses so she is not too interested in that, otherwise its a nice place and the landlord is a nice police officer... if the buses dont get that bad i might get her to consider it.
Busses aren't bad here. There are lots of them but they are not like riding NYC busses. Everybody here drives. They are not filthy sardine cans. Some of them also have bike racks on the front so you can bring your bike. You can check the CDTA (Capital District Transportation Authority) website for routes and schedules.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts