Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife knows my dream car is a Porsche 911.

I don't dream big, I'm not looking to buy the latest 2011 GT2 RS.

I'll be happy with a late 70-s to mid 80s 3.0 or 3.2 air cooled flat six.

I just always loved 911s, from 1964 to today, especially the air cooled ones.

Right now I am saving to buy one a few years down the line.

So, today I come home and my wife had bought me a small gift...

...and I loved it!

Like a small nod of approval for a future toy.

I love her more now :p

·
Registered
709 Posts
That's a neat gift to get! Always nice to know you have a little support.

This...

I have wanted one ever since I could remember.

My dad had a '68, but got rid of it a few years later. He kept a few Porsche books from the 70's that I used to page through as a child. Doesn't help that there are two race prepped ones within my neighborhood :shock:.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
911 is also at the top of my "do want" list.

One of my dads friends had one in the mid 80's. I got a ride in it when I was about 15. I'll never forget the grip level and acceleration of that car.

My uncle has had a couple 944 Turbos(he actually had two at the same time, because one was always in the shop)and a 928. They were pigs compared to the 911.

I want a 912 to be different.. however I would not turn down a good deal on an older 911.... Would make a nice DD in the spring/fall weather here in South Eastern PA
How about 914-6?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
A friend just sold his 89 (I think) 911. He owner it for 5-6 years had zero issues with it & sold it for $4500 more then what he paid!!! Loved the car..... needed something with more room so he has a E46 M3 now

911's are among the best out there.... for me it's either a lotus esprit (which is kinda like a C900, will need work to run), lotus exige (cool but fragile, needs a v6 swap) or a 911 which wouldn't need anything.

MY wife did buy me a lotus last year, esprit v8 matchbox car & she doesn't like any of the cars I mentioned

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'll have a 911 too someday. Like Snabb saab, I'll shoot for late 70's-80's. The 911's of that era ooze class, looks, and performance. In addition to that, one doesn't have to worry about depreciation either. The only thing one has to be sure to do is get a car that is mechanically perfect. I've heard horror stories of 8-10K engine rebuilds and I wouldn't want to be on that end!

Also, I really love the new Caymans too. Maybe in 8-10 years they'll be affordable!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Also, I really love the new Caymans too. Maybe in 8-10 years they'll be affordable!
Ah yes - the Cayman S would be very nice to own - the down side to modern day Porsche's are that they are being manufactuered as opposed to being hand built. This is good for the bottom line cost, but not so good for their quality overall these days. If you want a REAL Porsche - you must buy an older one IMHO. Or shell out serious $$ for a GT2 or GT varient - I think those are hand built still.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ah yes - the Cayman S would be very nice to own - the down side to modern day Porsche's are that they are being manufactuered as opposed to being hand built. This is good for the bottom line cost, but not so good for their quality overall these days. If you want a REAL Porsche - you must buy an older one IMHO. Or shell out serious $$ for a GT2 or GT varient - I think those are hand built still.
I heard the 911 Turbo is hand built, or was until recently, running off a different plan than the standard 911. Not too sure though.

I wish my GF was supportive with cars. I can't even get a nod of approval, although I was told I could buy a Mini Cooper whenever I want so.

Hirsch said:
My uncle has had a couple 944 Turbos(he actually had two at the same time, because one was always in the shop)and a 928. They were pigs compared to the 911.
Hey now, I personally love the looks and feel of a 944. I test drove a 944 Turbo about a year ago, and it drove great. It is not a 911 by any means, but it is still nice (and WAY cheaper).

·
Registered
546 Posts
lotus exige (cool but fragile, needs a v6 swap)
I disagree with both those points. It is not fragile, the bonded chassis makes repairs so expense that it is easily totaled when crashed. And 60% of the weight in back makes it dangerous to throw a lot of horsepower at it. Snap oversteer is not fun. My 180 whp is about enough for every scenario except long straights.

People who have owned both draw close comparisons to the Elise/Exige and the older 911's. A late 80's 911 ran the last autocross significantly faster than the Elise due mostly to me overdriving the course.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I love the 930 turbos, but I'll probably get a 944 because it's cheaper, and much more unique-looking. I love its quirkiness. And I'd swap on a set of ^^those^^ wheels:D

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want a 912 to be different.. however I would not turn down a good deal on an older 911.... Would make a nice DD in the spring/fall weather here in South Eastern PA
A buddy of mine in high school had a 924, then bouhgt a 912 with a shot engine. Him and I rebuilt that 4 cyclinder with help from his dad, who owned a De Tomaso Pantera. The 912 was underpowered (perfect for a high school kid), but had all the looks of a 911, and no one knew better. It was great cruising on a Porsche as a high school student. Girls liked it :mrgreen: We once packed 6 people in the 912 going to lunch...

Here is one kick ass rally-inspired 912 for sale for $16500: http://bringatrailer.com/2010/08/06/bat-exclusive-rally-inspired-1968-porsche-912/

I'll have a 911 too someday. Like Snabb saab, I'll shoot for late 70's-80's. The 911's of that era ooze class, looks, and performance. In addition to that, one doesn't have to worry about depreciation either. The only thing one has to be sure to do is get a car that is mechanically perfect. I've heard horror stories of 8-10K engine rebuilds and I wouldn't want to be on that end!
The book my wife bought says that any older Porsche is a $30,000 car. If you pay $10,000 for the car you will end up paying $20,000 in repairs and maintenance to get it back to Porsche perfect.

I'll have to disagree there, the Cayman looks like a 911 that ate one too ma ny twinkies. I understand that Porsche is selling them to generate cash flow as SUVs are the hot sellers now, but it looks too porky. The Panamera also, too fat.

·
Registered
616 Posts
my friend has a 944 with an lt1 swapped in it .... he calls it the "porvette" .... last race he drove it up with the aviators and perv stache and all!!! LOL

a 70-80's 911 is also on my DO WANT list too lol

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I disagree with both those points. It is not fragile, the bonded chassis makes repairs so expense that it is easily totaled when crashed. And 60% of the weight in back makes it dangerous to throw a lot of horsepower at it. Snap oversteer is not fun. My 180 whp is about enough for every scenario except long straights.

People who have owned both draw close comparisons to the Elise/Exige and the older 911's. A late 80's 911 ran the last autocross significantly faster than the Elise due mostly to me overdriving the course.
Fragile meaning EASY to total. It doesn't take much of a bump anywhere on the car to total it & if I recall replacing the front clam properly is what, a 40 hour job or something like that???

Snap oversteer happends with the car no matter what engine is behind you, the nature of a mid engine car. Adding I believe under 50lbs back there (vs supercharges elise/exige) for the same engine the evora uses wouldn't be a bad thing. I do not think adding another 50 lbs & bringing the power to about 290 whp/wtq would make snap oversteer any more likely. But I have never driven one, only sat in a few.......

I am watching the threads to see how the build/R&D turns out, they are hopeing to have a 400 HP n/a v6 in the future, that would put the power to weight on par with Noble's, Q1's & a few other exotic's.

There are also rumors stating lotus is going to throw a v6 back there possibly in 2012.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I disagree with both those points. .
1950lb and rock hard chassis. they are held together non-too-tightly let me tell you.

check out any one that has seen regular use (nevermind actual track use), and it will need some reconditioning.

shit like the rear diffuser, top fitment, etc. gets eaten up quick. that rear diffuser is made of foil paper and is as stiff as such. being so low to the ground and stiff is no friend to this car. suspensions are noisy as hell too.

even my 911, which is far better built and more substantial at 3100lb was subject to random squeaks and shudders. its the nature of any car thats built to a lightness and purpose.

of course, my 911 felt like it was built to handle WW3, but it didnt mean that it enjoyed daily use as much as say, any car that has 500lb more of insulation, redundant structure, and ground clearance.

just sayin..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts