Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody else think XM is a ripoff?

They keep billing at full price even after they say only will last 1 year then you have to renew. But years up and cannot walk away, now they say we owe full screw price for 1 month because of one day! If you cancel early then its $77 more. Don't renew then it is 30 for the extra day you used. But for $116 they can get you next year this time. ;)

Pandora for $30 is a great deal.

GRRR

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Yes, it is a ripoff. But I still love it for some reason.
That's why I had them remove my credit card from file and asked for manual invoicing.
When the invoice comes, I call up retentions to "cancel" my account.
I give the standard blurb of "I have to cancel because I can't afford it anymore".
Then I keep playing that till I get an offer I'm comfortable with.
I think I paid $60 for the past 12 months.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made them bill us also. But couldn't get out of it without paying $77 (cancel) or $30 (next day)!

If apple pulled that...

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I've had Sirius since 2002 (maybe '03 at the latest?) and i love it. I drive a lot so the programming and coverage is key. I do listen to Pandora too but i also listen to talk radio, plus the programming on Sirius is really good for the stuff i listen to. One of my accounts is a lifetime subscription (paid $500 5 years ago roughtly) and i have my parents on a seperate account. That being said, its not for everyone. I've never had any billing issues, but when i compare it to what i pay Comcast each month i'd say its fair. Terrestrial radio is free yes, but with the exception of a few stations, sucks ass.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I recently suspended my service for 6 months, Im going to see if I feel the need to get it again after a while. I didn't have any trouble getting it suspended, but they will automatically start billing me again in 6 months. What really bugged me is that you can't cancel it online, when you can already pay, change billing info, add a radio etc. all online.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I still can't stand the idea of paying for "radio". That said, Boneyard kicks ass!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i forgot to mention that too, i like hearing stuff as the artist intended, and i hate commercials when i'm trying to listen to music.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've never been a radio subscriber, but a car I bought has an XM-ready head unit and antenna already in it from the PO. I've been considering signing up. Any advice on that from you current subscribers? I've also got an ipod hookup in the car already, so I could just stick with that if the XM is just a PITA.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Nick, that is why I will not ever donate to a site like this and it has nothing to do with the site.

I used to have a Corvette and made a one time donation (so I thought), to the Corvette Action Center and it indeed is a great site. I think it got processed through Pay-Pal and what caught my wife's eye was they processed a donation not once but twice the following year. I had never authorized a second year donation. Like I said, CAC admin was all over this like a fly on a cow flop getting my money refunded and got on the (pretty sure it was PP), collection practices "case" but it was my first and last time giving my credit card info on line. Another favorite is Elk Parts and the shipping to the US. Wifey freaked when she asked what I bought for like $60. A ball cap and a decal? Most of the "cost" was in postage from The Royal Mail but there was no postage rate on the stamp (I dug it out), but all told the S$H from UK was the bulk of the cost and sadly, I did not even like the hat.

Let me comment on sound systems in cars and yes I let my free Saab XM expire. Cute, but not worth the money and besides, it's a car and not a rolling living room? Bah-humbug, I just kind of lost interest in music for some reason and hardly even put a CD in but if you are really into sound by the time you hit like 20 miles an hour the tire noise and wind will kind of wash out that fancy system in a blink? People, feel free to spend your money on what you want but it hit me one day after I shelled out some bucks on a fancy Alpine and put it in an MG.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
My point was not the content thats fine. Its the auto renew/special prices / Cancellation fee Loop.
Yes that shit is awful, but it's like that in so many business that it's hard to complain.

We keep our XM active in the Jetta sinec my wife drives rural MN for her job, and otherwise gets limited to no radio reception almost all the time. The service is a life saver.

90's on 9!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I liked the variety on XM when I had it, plus I got it free for 3 months(which turned into 9 months by the time they caught up with me)when I bought my car. But I don't spend enough time in the car or on the road to justify the expense.

Maybe things have changed recently, but I don't remember signing a contract.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I love my XM but if you have any problems with billing (like when they charged me 4 times by accident) good luck dealing with the 'customer service' located offshore in the phillipines.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i got the Phillipines once too oddly enough, or something Phillipinish. Although when i called in to add my internet radio back, it was some girl in New York.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts