Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any insights? Yet another mystery in the saga that is my Saab. Took the cover off and the chain is marked on every link with extremely narrow letters "JAPAN".
I have not found any AEM that is made in Japan or depicts anything like it. Is this chain even OEM? Now reports in PO history of chain job.
-Cm

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
OMG, Don't Look at the back of your instrument cluster, or Any parts of the AC system, Or if you have an automatic, Don't even look at it. You might have a Stroke. How dare those Japanese Make SAAB parts. What in the world could they be thinking?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Japanese manufacturing often > Swedish manufacturing.

And lately it seems like Japanese manufacturing > German manufacturing.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Japan, home of toyota...the cars that you don't need to do a damn thing to, just drive them for 300k miles and eventually your seat will fall through a rusty hole in the floor. At that point in time you replace it with another toyota.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
IIRC, when I bought my Tally back in '97, the window sticker gave percentages of what country the car was manufactured in:

Japan, Germany, Sweden. Japan had a pretty sigificant portion of the car with Germany and Sweden taking the lion's share.

And lets be real: with suppliers virtually all over the globe, there's no doubt in my mind there are some US, Korean, Tai, Chinese and other content in there...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mmh, perhaps this has become a nation-slander fest and that is not my intent. If my Saab were made on the moon, I wouldn't care (that might even explain a few things) I was more totally stupefied as to whether or not this was OEM as this could shed some light on a number of horrible noises I've been experiencing.
The goal of this thread was to establish:
1) If the part is OEM
2) If it is OEM, who has seen it before
3) If it is AEM, who makes it, aside from the Japanese, and does anyone know anything about it.
4) If neither, then to track down whether or not I have a chain from another engine-the chain seemed to fit, but stranger things have happened.
Again, the car could be made on the moon.
-Cm

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
If you are reading our responses as a "nation-slander fest" then I think you need to re-read. We are saying having parts from Japan is not a bad thing. Japan knows how to make stuff, and make stuff well. I don't think anyone had thought otherwise since probably the 1950s.

Also, keep in mind that like Talladega900 said, some of the OEMs for Saab are Japanese. Also keep in mind that most manufacturers use multiple OEMs for some parts, depending on whole host of potential circumstances.

All that said, I have no idea if there is an OEM that might mfg their timing chains in Japan. I know the big one is IWIS, and they are typically out of Germany.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Saab Switched back and forth from diffrent chain manufactures over the years, The failure rate from the early 16v european chains were very high. The failure rate lessoned around 89 when the japanese chaines showed up. I have found and replaced both over the years, The japanes chains last longer IMO.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You couldn't get a worthwhile automatic in a Saab until they slammed in a Japanese unit.

X2 on the info Harvey. I definitely remember doing a sh*tload of chains on the early 16 valve engines, then none for years. Now I'm doing quite a few on 9-5s

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
You couldn't get a worthwhile automatic in a Saab until they slammed in a Japanese unit.

X2 on the info Harvey. I definitely remember doing a sh*tload of chains on the early 16 valve engines, then none for years. Now I'm doing quite a few on 9-5s
Ain't that the honest truth! Thank goodness for those lil'fellers! Borg Warner can blow me.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
What way did the water spin out of the shitter?
Depends if I am at work - but at home it just comes up and sometimes goes down - not so much a swirl action. At work it's a power flush - straight down the crap pipe and it's gone. Again - no swirl. Times are changing Palmer - is it time to be scared yet when the water doesn't spin?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was upset to learn that my first car - VW FOX - was 100% made and built in Brazil (I knew this while I owned it). Your point is just as valid as mine.
LOL..The Ford Fusion is done from mexican parts mostly, made in Mexico and has a japanese automatic transmission..go figure..

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've noticed that a lot of the interior electrical parts are Japanese, too. The power seat switches and the wiper and blinker stalks are all Japanese, and so is the ACC fan and the even the button blanks. I thought it was weird that the stalks were Japanese because they complete lack the nice delicate feel of a Honda or Toyota stalk. Their long throws and loud snaps have always seemed cheap to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts