Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll preface this by saying that I don't care if you own a VW, I won't judge you. In fact if I felt like messing with another quirky car, I might get an MK II Golf or something like that. Regardless of that, what is with some of the VW crowd and wanting to ghetto rig their cars? I got into a debate with some morons of that persuasion over how they thought they didn't need swaybars. One of them tried to tell me I wouldn't understand since I didn't drive a VW. Sounds oddly like that Jeep thing...

Apparently in their small brains, they think that removing their front swaybar will make up for the fact that the car in question is so low it handles like shit. I mean scraping on everything low. Which would seem to me is best suited for people named Pablo who live in CA or some crap like that. What I've gathered is that some of these clowns think they're actually smarter than the people in Germany who designed the damn car, and therefore think it works better with suspension bits missing or hacked. Anyone else notice this bad trend? Sorry if you have and this is repetitive, I'm just annoyed by their ignorance and wanted to complain.

·
Registered
645 Posts
with some cars (like c900) the companys gave the car softer springs to give a smoother ride, well that ends up giving massive body roll, so they add sway bars to negate some of that roll, and in some instances create understeer(because it is believed the average consumer can deal with understeer better than over)

so now you want to lower your car, so in order to get a decent stance and reduce the chances of bottoming out, you need to raise the spring rate. and now what happens is the beefy sway bar the factory put in to work with the stock soft springs tightens the front end of the car up too much. causing the inside wheel to lose contact with the road during sharp cornering creating understeer. this is bad. as a driver, you (or at least me) do not want understeer, so in order to remove some understeer you can remove the front sway bar.

sway bars are bang for buck the best way to adjust the way the car handles. very very often overlooked, or misunderstood. its not like in need for speed when the biggest sway bar is the best for your car.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you 94cde. What the particular idiots I was talking to were insisting was that no sway bar was the way to go. I've gone that route on a lifted truck that I didn't feel like making/buying swaybar disconnects for, and it worked fine. However I wasn't expecting racecar handling.

·
Registered
675 Posts
There are some suspension setups in the VW world where you do remove the front sway bar. On my race prepared Jetta (that I did race, and did a lot of track time with) my lap times were better when I didn't have a front sway bar.

·
Registered
897 Posts
they chop out the front swaybar because the axle smacks it because the car is so low. you take it out you can go lower. thats the reason behind doing so. vw owners dont care about handling just about how low u can go. i could tell u some "Dumb" things my vw friends did but im just saying they know its bad but the dont give a fawk. haha.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Many people who track my car and the Coupes remove the rearsway after bumping up the spring rates. Lots of variables when it comes to suspension setup, so removing the sway bar doesn't mean any silly tactic to make a good handling car.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Many people who track my car and the Coupes remove the rearsway after bumping up the spring rates. Lots of variables when it comes to suspension setup, so removing the sway bar doesn't mean any silly tactic to make a good handling car.
yeah, I think that's a 'men from the boys' thing. These chowderheads don't really sounds like someone who tracks their rig, and does some trial & error runs to see what spring rates work best for them.

Sounds like they just grind down valences in the name of being cooler than the other side of the pillow....

·
Registered
361 Posts
Im going to eventually drop my TDI jetta down about an inch and a half just to clean the look up a bit. I have HUGE fender gap, and its quite disapointing. Depending on the spring rates I get, and if I can get more, that will dictate my swaybar usage. I REFUSE to stretch and poke, or rust my hood.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm all for a slight reduction in right height, but stretch and poke is just a little limp wristed for me, pun intended. That's what the offending party was all about, rather than track performance. I doubt his car would survive a track day for long.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im going to eventually drop my TDI jetta down about an inch and a half just to clean the look up a bit. I have HUGE fender gap, and its quite disapointing. Depending on the spring rates I get, and if I can get more, that will dictate my swaybar usage. I REFUSE to stretch and poke, or rust my hood.
Good, I hate rusty hoods. They're for rat rods, which are usually rusty all over.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
The more I am exposed to the hella flush/slammed car scene in Socal, the more I hate it. Sure, a good drop can work wonders on any car both in looks and performance. But slamming a car just so that you can boast that "I have to plan my trip to the grocery store so that I don't go on any roads that make me scrape" or "check out how close my tire beads are to popping!" is pretty ridiculous and quite frankly some of those cars are completely unfit to be on the road.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The more I am exposed to the hella flush/slammed car scene in Socal, the more I hate it. Sure, a good drop can work wonders on any car both in looks and performance. But slamming a car just so that you can boast that "I have to plan my trip to the grocery store so that I don't go on any roads that make me scrape" or "check out how close my tire beads are to popping!" is pretty ridiculous and quite frankly some of those cars are completely unfit to be on the road.
I chuckled

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.