Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting article on AutoBlog today, thought I would share it.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/10/would-reviving-the-viggen-help-or-hurt-saab/

--------

Would reviving the Viggen help or hurt Saab?

Viggen is loosely translated from Swedish to mean "torque steer that will bust your elbows." Actually, Saab borrowed the Viggen moniker from a fighter jet for a top-dog version of the 9-3 that bowed in 1999. The Saabophiles at Turbonines have been dreaming as of late about a new Viggen, and they've even got Photochops to illustrate their points. The basic premise is that the "Hirsch Edition" Saabs being created for the German market carry plenty of even higher-end dressing up than the TurboX range topper we get here in the States, and it'd merely be a matter of diverting some of those vehicles this way with some new badging. We've tried the TurboX and mostly liked it, and Turbonines goes on to advocate for installing some of these goodies in ports, which would further reduce federalization costs. Of course, no matter how you slice it, the only-600-in-the-US TurboX can still be had, so adding another vehicle to Saab's lineup that would occupy the mid-$40,000 price point and get its teeth bashed in by Audis and BMWs might not be a smart move for GM's tiniest of sellers.

--------

·
Registered
850 Posts
It would definitely have to be something substantially more than just good looks. It would have to perform and be competitive with other cars in whatever price range it occupies.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
How about AWD.

It may turn away the FWDLOL enthusiasts that like to do highway pulls on Veyron's, but the car might actually be attractive to some in the European car market.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
I think the Viggen is dead for a long time coming.

Saab needs years of rebuilding in order to be secure enough to order a confident car to compete in the class it needs to that a Viggen would occupy.

They could have called the T-X the Viggen, offered 350hp, done whatever, but we still see they were not well reviewed, and are being discounted $15k already.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
I think the Viggen is dead for a long time coming.

Saab needs years of rebuilding in order to be secure enough to order a confident car to compete in the class it needs to that a Viggen would occupy.

They could have called the T-X the Viggen, offered 350hp, done whatever, but we still see they were not well reviewed, and are being discounted $15k already.
Your just worried that your car would greatly depreciate and then you wouldnt be able to buy a house, or the EVO

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If it will compete with an s4, m3, etc in performance, I say SAAB has to build it. In addition, they would have to incorporate every new, cutting edge design cue that they can throw in. I'd like to see the front end look of the aero-x combined with some kind of a modern hatch. Maybe they can steal or work off of the new sti platform or what not. AWD would make it more desirable too. Whatever it would be though, it must be something that is incredibly different from other competitors' offerings. It wouldn't have to use old saab styling cues or have to be a hatch, it would have to redefine what saabs stands for in this place/time and the forseeable future.

I know alot of people say "oh, go back to the way old saabs used to be," but it's a different time and consumers have more options, different tastes, and new problems/outside influences that affect the car purchasing process. In addition, saab was failing before GM bought in so there were inevitable problems that the company would've had to face that we can see arising at this time.

All saab has to do is make a phenomenal sports car, price it reasonable, under 50k (more sti/350z money) and market the hell out of it. Marketing is the key.

Make it compete with an s4, m3, or whatever and you have a product. Price it below the competition, bring it to autoshows, have auto shows review it, generate lots of publicity, and you can start to save a company and have a winner.

No more mediocre 30k cars.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts