Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a M-B SUV 08 GL-450 certified, 10 grand cheaper than the nearest year car with the same miles and options.

Dealer certified ( I have not seen it yet) so I am thinking the accident may have not been a biggie?

It was reported on carfax from New York ( where they report anything with over 1g damages but make no assessments.

Would yo consider it? ( and the MB in general?), i was thinking of buying a new Pilot but for the same price get a used M-B and maybe control depreciation a bit more? ( and they are giving 1.9% interest for 4 years, beats Honda's finance)

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
With a car that new it can be real dangerous, the value is so high it could have been a really horrendous accident and the insurance would still fix the stupid thing cause its worth so much. That said, I'd have it checked out by somebody that knows the cars (obviously not the dealer selling it) and ask the dealer if they know what the deal is with the accident history, its possible that it was just a small crash and the thing will be fine. You really have to be careful with crashed newer benzes though, could be that it has had a large chunk of another car grafted onto it at some point, thats not something you want in the long run .

Paul

·
Registered
429 Posts
the value is so high it could have been a really horrendous accident and the insurance would still fix the stupid thing cause its worth so much.
I agree ^^ I've seen it done with my friends Benz too. 11k in damage from a stupid, horrible accident and it was fixed. Seems ok now, but who knows what will start to go wrong as a result of the accident. I wouldn't buy his, maybe the one you're looking at wasn't too bad. Just get it checked out, cause if you like it more than the Honda it would be worth it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Check out where it was made. I had one of the original ML's on order well before they came out. When the first were in the showroom I went to have a look & see.

It was parked next to a German AWD wagon. I opened the door and shut it on the wagon (solid thud) and then on the ML and got a (tinkle clatter) that sounded like a Chevette.

I repeated that a few times and after having a few Mercs I was amazed that the thing sounded so tinny and cheap. Then the floor boss hollered for me to quit doing that. Mercedes put a lot of hype and engineering into just the sound of a quality door sound.

A few weeks later I got a call from a guy who warned me he took delivery and there were rattles they couldn't fix. I took the demo car down and despite the sales guys protests, I headed for some railroad tracks. Guy got pissed. When I drove over the tracks the thing started to rattle.

I canceled my order after over 6 months of waiting. The quality is gone and for that matter I could have purchased a used MB from the dealer for less than I paid for the Saab this year.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
If my parents' experience is anything to go by, make sure the car is Silver-Star certified. They've had massive amounts of replacement work done on their Krauts on Benz's dime under that program.

The newer cars seem to be infested with electrical gremlins. You have been warned.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yeah i am thinking i might pass, It looks as though the Pilot is better deal on deprecation only like 3K a year I had thought the used benz might depreciate less since a bulk of the loss might have been over and done.

I think I would see the same or more on the used one, like only worth 18K in 6 years I keep my cars forever tho..

The pilot has been good ( not awesome, it needed a trans at 103k miles), luckily I know the transmissions were weak sauce and had purchased the extended warranty

The only think i hated was how easy the 2003 Pilot was to ding and scratch. My 2000 9-5 looks mint compared to it...and thought the Heavier steel ( door thuds) in the MB might look better as it aged.

saw a new Pilot last night it looks beefier, I liked it, may go that route... thanks for your opinions...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Also - I know it's done, but aren't the dealers NOT supopsed to certify a car if they have been in a known accident? I recall running into this a few times at Fred Beans. Cars with any body damage are not supposed to get a certified pre-owned warranty I thought. They often times turn into problem childs.... Again, if the damage was minor I too wouldn't hold that against it, but you may never know for sure how bad it was until it's too late.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it has the tire pressure monitor system say goodnight. Friends E500 always had the warning going off for no reason. She brought it to the dealer at least once a month to get it fixed and they never had an answer, all the PSI's match and yet the sensor kept going off. And it's obnoxious because the center of the spedo turns red and just flashes an annoying alert. Needless to say the second the lease was up she was done with benz after leasing 3 before that. The electrical issues were the last straw.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Question is what is a 1G MB repair, it could be a scratch in the bumper or quarter panel? If the dealer did Silver Star and showed me what the damage was, might consider it or at least as a starting point :wink:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
all the benz owners i know are repeat customers. and lifelong at that.
nothing feels like a benz. they all always rave about how trouble-free benzes are. these owners are typically only buying the occasional bimmer/audi/rr for variety and they all end up returning to benz, consistently. and this is an owner group with no patience for repeat problems.

brand loyalty that good is no fluke. even f you account for some minor problems that might afflict a car or two, overall there must be very good reliability there.

sometimes a minor problems is acceptable for the pleasure of driving a car that feels put together better than all others.

those gl's drive so nice. they rock. my client has one in curacao for the shitty roads there.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
if pilots are put together at all like mdx's, expect reliability befitting an honda, but dont expect it to remain rattle-free or hold up as well as a benz.

3 mdx in my family and they can feel "loose" after 30k of normal use. doors get clanky, dash groans, that sort of thing that makes ownership unrewarding

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if pilots are put together at all like mdx's, expect reliability befitting an honda, but dont expect it to remain rattle-free or hold up as well as a benz.

3 mdx in my family and they can feel "loose" after 30k of normal use. doors get clanky, dash groans, that sort of thing that makes ownership unrewarding
Yeah I have a Pilot already it looked and felt and sounded tired after 3 years, I would not buy a used one.

I might stop by teh dealer and see if it is silver star, they are real nice to ride in some neat off roading stuff ( hill decent ) too...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
if you're looking for an SUV get a Land Rover/Range Rover. Their the best, or a Toyota 4-Runner. I don't like Mercedes SUV's or Honda Pilot's much.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Generally the answer is no, don't buy a used car with an accident history - unless you know specifically what the accident was, how it was fixed, and have it inspected.

I bought an '88 9000 turbo with only 30k miles, with a salvage title once. The previous owner had rear ended someone in a rush-hour freeway jam, and the damage was expensive but mostly cosmetic (hood, front fenders, radiator and mounts, etc - no damage to the motor or turbo). I called the previous owner, chatted about the accident (a relatively low speed hit, his briefcase didn't even move off the passenger seat). An inspection confirmed a good repair, and I bought the car. I drove it for 11 years and 125,000 miles. I had some mechanical issues with the car - hey, it was an early 9000 after all - but nothing that was accident-related.

Moral of the story - what you're thinking about can be done. But the risks are such that due diligence on the pre-purchase checklist is absolutely mandatory.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Drive-wise, I occasionally get to pilot my folks' Benzes on visits. They're fast, they're smooth, they're fancy and they're comfortable. But, I really feel a huge disconnect from the road when I'm roaring around Alabama or Chicagoland in them. Like I'm going down the road on a nice couch...well a nice couch that has a recurrent rear headrest malfunction due to a bad sensor.

*sigh*

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Drive-wise, I occasionally get to pilot my folks' Benzes on visits. They're fast, they're smooth, they're fancy and they're comfortable. But, I really feel a huge disconnect from the road when I'm roaring around Alabama or Chicagoland in them. Like I'm going down the road on a nice couch...well a nice couch that has a recurrent rear headrest malfunction due to a bad sensor.

*sigh*
This.

I've driven my aunts S430 a few times and while I wouldn't mind driving it on a long road trip, it's not a vehicle I would enjoy as a daily driver.

By contrast, my cousin(above mentioned aunts son) had a 72 450SL as his first car that was so much fun to drive. I drove it a lot before I got my license when my cousin got drunk after a gig(he was/is a punk rock drummer). I would love to have that car today!

When I was 17 I had to chauffeur my grandparents to my cousins rehearsal dinner in my grandmas Sedan De'Ville. Felt like I was piloting a king-sized pillowtop mattress down I-75.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts