Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i am going on minding my buisness like any other 20 year old would at 3 in the morning...All of a sudden i remember in the road a string of potholes and pay attention not to hit them. Next thing i know my front end lifts up and slows to 20 mph and stall the engine....Standing water will do that to you. So after wading barefoot through less then 20 degree water to the police and the tow truck that helped me get out, we get her outa the water and still have electrical power but no crank....So i said i will just look at it when we get home.

Got home first thing i do is pop the air filter box open and take a look...bad news the drop in paper filter is soaked...the exit of the box is damp and its 4:30 in the morning and have to be at school in 2 hours...so taking the secondary car til get more time to look at her. Anyone got any tips? I will probally take the DI off tomorrow and remove the spark plugs to try and help rid the engine of excess water if there is any in there....

The water on the road came up to about the bottom of my door just alittle less. So i know my turbo was probally sitting in some watter along with whole exhaust...this is giving me a headache so i am gunna go get some sleep for abit. will see what you all think in the morning. Later!

Coop

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
if u have access to an air compressor i would take of the inlet tube going into the turbo and blow it out.... then i would take the Dp off and alos check that

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
When my C900 blew a radiator hose it got 2 relays wet and my did not start for 3 days so alot of times you just need to let things dry out and then they come back to life alot of times. I do agree with Ricot that if you can pull off some of the piping to see how much water comes out of the system and give it a day to dry out all the electrical pieces of the motor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright will let her dry up abit, but i know when i took the air filter out today that i could wring water from the air filter so.... i do have a air compressor in my garage that i use to dry up some things like Ricot83 sudgested. Think i was just frustrated last night, when i return from work we were going to drain the oil and what not. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Also check the throttle body, and the pipe leading to it for water.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
well "you shouldnt be playing in the water your guna catch a cold" thats what my mom always told me.... did yur mom tell you!

hah j/k but wow how fast were you going before you hit the puddle...i meen small lake....that sucks dude..should dry out...its not like you were driving through it....just into it... :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so got some pics and info on what is going on. Removed the air box and recirc attach point and found standing water in the pipe that leads to the compressor side of the turbo. Then poped off the DI cassette and removed the spark plugs in which 2 of them were wet. But went and found a hose and siphoned almost a 1/4 of a gallon of water out of the #1 and 2 cyclinders and there wasn't much in the #3 and 4 cyclinders.

Then removed the IC piping that leads to the throttle body. <this is the pic where i am squeezing the rubber pipe and water was coming out of the attach points. Removed that and there was standing water just standing there at the brink of the pipe of the IC outlet.

Went under the car and removed the turbo compressor outlet hose and got pissed on by about 1 1/2 gallons of water...I have left everything off and am going to let it all evaporate during the night and go buy new spark plugs, new air filter, and new oil/filter and try to get her running saturday morning.

PS Tonight was the first night that i got to test out the safty glasses with the LED lights attached to them from craftsman, all i can really say is WOW i was really impressed also tested a headband LED light from brookstone and was impressed with that as well. Think everyone should have LEDs for thier heads :lol:

The Pic where i am not squeezing the pipe is of the Turbo compressor inlet of the standing water just chilling there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ack,. that sucks man. like eveyone else i think it just needs to dry out. I do have a question though....how come i can never view any of the pictures people post on the forum...?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
mm yeah thats a shit load of water!
wouldnt be suprized if it got all the way into the engine...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oh, fuck. dude im sorry, About a cupple of months ago my friend took his moms 00' 9-5 out to go get some taco-bell when it was raining, and by raining i mean a full out downpour. So supposedly he was going slow about 25 and he hits a jumbo pot hole in the road that was covered up by water and frys the whole electrical system in the 9-5, he also flooded the interior (dont aske me how this happed but it did) I guess it was soo expensive to have it replaced the just decided to total the 9-5. Now his mom is driving a 88' subaru station wagon.

Good luck,

·
User
9,193 Posts
yep... if that turbo survived I'll be shocked..... that sucks man... it really does.... and if that much water got in the turbo, I would hate to see all of it in hidden spots like engine and such.... :oops: :cry:

·
7,595 Posts
the only good thing about water is once the engine is at opperating temperature it will all boil off. don't forget to drain the intercooler as well, I'm sure that will be full of water too.you should get an air hose with at least 130 PSI and blast all the water out of everything you can.

How did this happen again? :shock:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well firstly i would justl ike to say thanks to everyone that gave me ideas in other threads and everything. The only thing that needed to be replaced on my car was the IAC. Other then that everything works great, turbo spools up and boosts like normal now :) I hydroplaned into standing water one night and stalled out the engine. Well I drained almost 2 gallons of water out of the cylinders, and i took off the TB and all intake piping. I took my intercooler into class and soaked it in our solution tank and cleaned that out really well.

I remember when i took off my recirc valve that i dumped water out of it, and also same was with the IAC. I actully got pretty lucky that the turbo didn't seize and only thing was the IAC. Once again thanks to everyone that helped me out with info on removal of the bumper and everything else. there are pictures in the TSL members section of when i had most of the stuff off think its labled "Nekkid pics of her" or something like that :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did i drained oil when it happened and re-filled with my normal mobil 1 10w-30 and i am going to be changing it again this friday <payday>. I replaced the air filter, new spark plugs and some of the vacuum line that got tore by my friend in TB removal. I was also planning on taking the valve cover off because my teacher mentioned that the cams would have a white residue that i should wipe off after the first oil change cause water may still be in the oil. So got alittle bit of things to due still but all is good.
Oh btw went in for diagnostics to my local mech because i was throwing a CEL, and he mentioned that my alternator bearings are starting to wear down and he recommended change here soon. Local Advanced auto parts be best bet for that or would people recommend on-line order?

·
User
9,193 Posts
Very glad everything worked out man 8) ... Now watch out for those massive puddles.... erm, lakes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts