Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Scary high yes.

I have climbed 80' silos (sans safety equipment) and at first was all nervous, but after a while I realized that anything above 30' is pretty much guaranteed death.

Realizing that actually helped.

I still can not imagine climbing that top bit. Tiny pole way up there... wow.

Oddest feeling for me was walking across what we called "the grid" at the top theatre's fly sets (all the rigging for pulling up lights/wall/pipes). Looking down 60' feet even though you know you can't fall through is, just weird.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Scary high yes.

I have climbed 80' silos (sans safety equipment) and at first was all nervous, but after a while I realized that anything above 30' is pretty much guaranteed death.

Realizing that actually helped.
Yep. you're right about that one.
The only thing that spooks me is when you get high enough that you are above everything else.
On a recent trip to Glacier park we were stopped for road construction on the "Road to the Sun". I got out to take a few photos and stood on top of the small stone wall that serves as the roads "guardrail". My fellow travelers were flipping out because it was a 1000 foot drop off the side of the road. (some wouldn't even look over the edge from the vehicle) For some reason it didn't bother me at all.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My palms were sweating, holy crap. I hope they wear parachutes but that is almost suicidal not to clip yourself in during some of those transitions.
Yeah, my palms were sweaty and I was constantly telling myself "that's fucked up". The bit where he climbs over the lip when he sees the "electrical box" scared me pretty bad.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Or doing live line work @500Kilo Volts 140 feet up

Or this one- doing live (500KV) work 140 feet up, never mind getting off a helicopter onto three wobbly cables-

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Ok, that is insane Bob.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
oh man, I saw that video, same website, and I got sick to my stomach watching it. I'm used to being up that high and higher most every day, but I've usually got a hunk of metal around me, haha. Oiy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
wow....when he said....another 60 feet to the top I was like WTF!!!! I get scared climbing on top of my roof...which is about 18 feet up...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Definitely scary! But I'm sure once you start climbing, it's just an adrenaline rush.

I think that job is just as scary! I assume they have a safety line. His perspective is great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts