Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone here has ever heard of Li-ion motors, but they are a cool company I have a small amount of shares in. Last summer, they won this competition called the Progressive Auto-x prize, a challenge featuring a multi-millon dollar prize for companies that exhibited the highest achievements in automotive efficiency. After they won part of the competition, they announced a new model, what they call the world's fastest all-electric supercar: The "Inizio."

Supposedly goes 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, priced between 130-140k. A 4-speed sequential gearbox with electronic paddle shifting gets a "meh," but overall, it's a nice looking car. Whether the company will really sell a good amount, I'm unsure. Model is kind of deceiving as top package (RTX) features 3.4 sec acceleration, whereas other, cheaper packages (R & RT) feature only 5.9 & 7.1 0-60 performance. Overall, an interesting car, but I don't think they are on par with models from Tesla, who offers their 3.9 sec 0-60 base roadster for around 110k.

Site link: Li-ion Presents: The INIZIO

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Cool, but what do you need a 4 speed transmission for on an electric vehicle? Instant torque, and, if a brushless motor (which I hope it would have), virtually unlimited rev speed.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Cool, but what do you need a 4 speed transmission for on an electric vehicle? Instant torque, and, if a brushless motor (which I hope it would have), virtually unlimited rev speed.
I was wondering the same thing. From press releases I think they think the paddle shifters add to the prestige or something. Overall though, I wouldn't care what was in it if it's truly as fast as advertised.

Also, if anyone is looking for a cheap stock gamble to add to their portfolio, this company might be a really good candidate. It's symbol is "LMCO" and it only trades right around $1-$1.20 a share right now on the OTCBB. I think its undervalued, but it has been slightly volatile in the past. In the last week, volume has shot a mile and the stock is rising quickly as the company nears the point where it's actually producing and selling vehicles. When that happens, I think the stock price will multiply once, if not twice or more. Tesla, for instance, trades in the $23 range. 1/4 of that price would mean big returns. Worth a $500 gamble if you ask me!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I like the fact that more and more companies, both start up and established, are developing and producing full electric vehicles in a variety of configurations and body styles with varying ergonomics, just like the conventional ICE automotive manufacturers, as it will help ease the transition from the one form of transportation to the other.

·
7,595 Posts
although electric motors operate from 0 RPM and have 100% torque from that range - quite unlike a gas engine, they do not have an "unlimited" top RPM. In order for them to have good take off as well as a high top speed, like any other car, there needs to be some sort of transmission to alter the gear ratios based on the road speed. The Tesla has 2 speeds, and I would think a 2 speed, or possibly a CVT would be more appropriate for this car too, however I'm sure the 4 speed is neat as well. I wonder if there is a sound pitch change when it shifts, might be pretty interesting. As with any EV, you should be able to stick this thing in 4th at a stop, and pin the accelerator and it would still take off. Slowly, no doubt but it should do it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
although electric motors operate from 0 RPM and have 100% torque from that range - quite unlike a gas engine, they do not have an "unlimited" top RPM.
Yet...'they do not have an 'unlimited' top RPM yet.

As with any EV, you should be able to stick this thing in 4th at a stop, and pin the accelerator and it would still take off. Slowly, no doubt but it should do it.
Yes, it should, but...I'd still beat it in the Koenigsegg (for now anyway)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts