Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not really, I could not take that kind of a paycut :lol: I did just pick up a sweet 2001 F350 at the surplus auction today! $2600, F350, dually, 6 speed Manual trans, 7.3L Powerstroke 275 HP / 520 lbft 4X6 w/ locking diff. It has a "fiber-body" on a stake bed. The only real issue with it seems to be a slight bit of deer or pedestrian damage that I suspect with the age of the truck, Pendot decided it was not worth fixing.

It's actually pretty darn quick considering it's size. On the highway, it gets up to it's speed limiter startlingly quick :lol: I think it needs a tune to get rid of that. Aside from the fact that it shifts like a truck, it's really fun to drive oddly enough. Got all the service records from brand new, they took excellent care of it. The thing just recently had a service less than 100 miles ago that included a set of brand new tires and a windshield, which likely cost the state more than I pay them in taxes in 5 years.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I can't wait to see this in person.
I also can't wait to drive it. Looks sweet!

EDIT:

PAGODA!!!!

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those Powerstrokes are good engines!

How many miles?
It's in the 170's. The way Pendot operates, it seems as though if anything happens to these trucks that they deem "too expensive to fix" inside of the 150K-200K range, they surplus them. They were almost all in the 150K-200K mile range, with various minor to fairly major issues. Most are auto transmission, but about 1/3 of them are MT, and the MT trucks seem to be worth a little less. According to the manual, the 6 speed MT Diesel should be able to tow 20,000lbs (including the weight of the truck).

It is interesting how many were manual transmission trucks, I would not have figured nearly as many as there were would have been MT trucks, but it seems as though who ever orders trucks for pendot likes the manual trucks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
At least you have the property for it now :) It can park next to the workmaster. And they can bond.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
are you keeping the bed? I'm not sure which way I'd go with that. I would think that a regular bed would be more usefull, and I'm not sure WHAT I would keep in all those cubbies anyway.

I also don't know how I'd feel about keeping anything valuable in the cubbies.

I wonder if you could sell that, and pay for the cost of a junkyard bed, and maybe a new paintjob? I'm thinking safety Orange ;)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
crazy!

park that next to the sti next to the chinook next to the 5000....the world might stop.

and, it's already half way the correct colours. paint the hood and doors blue and you're good to go!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
and, it's already half way the correct colours. paint the hood and doors blue and you're good to go!
Thought about that, but the "PennDOT Camo" is pretty neat, cops wave and shit :lol: we just need some orange vests. Shopping for a chip now...too many options.

Paul

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
For $2600 you could hardly go wrong. It certainly is different.

Will this have some functional purpose, or is it just for grins?

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For $2600 you could hardly go wrong. It certainly is different.

Will this have some functional purpose, or is it just for grins?
Primary purpose was to get coal / wood, however with the mechanics body, it is also going to make an A-1 excellent junkyard truck. Also, it has giant scary bumpers and sits really high, so no one is going to want to park near it & it does not matter where I park it. Better watch out when I back up, cause it's about 25 feet long, has a diamond-plate steel rear bumper, and I can't see shit out the back! :lol: It will also be useful for towing if I ever have the need, as with a 5th wheel, I could probably haul a 3-car car trailer fairly easily...

·
Registered
897 Posts
that would be soo awesome to use as a junkyard truck just comin back home PACKED with parts haha

whats the gas mileage like? 2 miles per gal? lol

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that would be soo awesome to use as a junkyard truck just comin back home PACKED with parts haha

whats the gas mileage like? 2 miles per gal? lol
I do not know 1st hand, but the 7.3 Diesel normally pulls almost 20 MPG on the highway with the AT, I will report back on this being that it has a manual 6 speed 4X6, it may get better. Remember, it is a direct-injection diesel, it is not inefficient.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I do not know 1st hand, but the 7.3 Diesel normally pulls almost 20 MPG on the highway with the AT, I will report back on this being that it has a manual 6 speed 4X6, it may get better. Remember, it is a direct-injection diesel, it is not inefficient.
nicee,

yeah i tend to assume anything that is big and heavy gets horrible mileage.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm jealous. I love big trucks with a manual trans.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
umm....lol....ok? i guess A+ for the good deal you got. You plan on giving it a bed and slick paint job right? figure you can make a few bucks selling the box.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Would make a sick mobile saab repair vehicle/mobile parts depot, i'd keep the box. Nice purchase, once again i'm jealous.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Aren't all diesels direct injection?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Hmm, never heard of this pre-combustion thing. Then again, I've never worked on a diesel before...

wikipedia said:
Indirect injection
Main article: Indirect injection
An indirect injection diesel engine delivers fuel into a chamber off the combustion chamber, called a pre-chamber or ante-chamber, where combustion begins and then spreads into the main combustion chamber, assisted by turbulence created in the chamber. This system allows for a smoother, quieter running engine, and because combustion is assisted by turbulence, injector pressures can be lower, about 100 bar (10 MPa; 1,500 psi), using a single orifice tapered jet injector. Mechanical injection systems allowed high-speed running suitable for road vehicles (typically up to speeds of around 4,000 rpm). The pre-chamber had the disadvantage of increasing heat loss to the engine's cooling system, and restricting the combustion burn, which reduced the efficiency by 5-10 percent.[31] Indirect injection engines were used in small-capacity, high-speed diesel engines in automotive, marine and construction uses from the 1950s, until direct injection technology advanced in the 1980s[citation needed]. Indirect injection engines are cheaper to build and it is easier to produce smooth, quiet-running vehicles with a simple mechanical system. In road-going vehicles most prefer the greater efficiency and better controlled emission levels of direct injection. Indirect injection diesels can still be found in the many ATV diesel applications.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts