Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know i should get 8 gauge + that fuse thing for the amp power, and 10 gauge for the subs to amp. What do I get for the RCA wires from head unit to amp? And would 12 gauge still work for my set up from amp to subs? If so:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38636&item=2448167801 Would something like that work? Thanks. I'll swing by a WalMart at somepoint to and see what they have, and a Target. I can't remember if I looked at either the last time I was there.... oh well, I'll look again. Best Buy charges like $40+ for these damn kits... i was hoping more on the lines of $20 :roll:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Basically what your looking for is:

4 guage wire(Ground and Power) - This goes from your battery to a fuse, then from the fuse to through your firewall back to your trunk into a spliter. Also some wire that goes from ground to a spliter.

2 - 4guage to 8guage spliter - This transfers 4guage to an 8guage wire to plug in your amp.

8 guage wire(Ground and Power) - Goes from the power spliter to your amp. Also from your ground spliter to your amp.

10 or 12 guage speaker wire - From amp to subs. The larger the better, so I'd try to get 10guage.

RCAs - From the head unit back to your amp.

Power and Ground terminals - goes on the end of the 4guage wires to ground and power.

Remote Wire - just a small wire that carries a 12v signal from the Headunit back to the amp to turn it on. Doesn't need to be large...I think I used 16 or 18 guage.

That should be it. Its alot, but all that stuff comes in a kit at Walmart like I said before. costs like $26, and its everything you need. Its really good wire as well, so I'd recommend it over the high priced stuff from BestBuy ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i would suggest what Blaque_out was saying and go 4g from the battery and then use a distributer to the amp(s)...and for the ground i just left it a whole 4g no 8g at all....make sure they come with connectors for the battery and ground...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i got the 250-500 watt amp kit today from Wal-Mart for about $21 after tax. Looks like it'll work fine. I just need to figure out why at random my car doesn't want to start.... it may be the wires on the alt. could be fuel pump related... not sure yet. But it's annoying. Also, for the fabric on the door pannels, i looks for similar at WalMart while I was there, didn't see any :(

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
For fabric, go to an auto upholster. Take a strip of you old headliner and have them match it up.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
my system that i just recently installed myself is really really awesome,

for the wires, i used 17 feet of 4 gauge wire that goes into a router, coming out the other end are two sections of 8 gauge wire that goes to each of my two amplifiers, i used a total of 17 feet of 8 gauge wire, including grounding, i used a set of monster cable rca wires to run from a custom rca splice into an aftermarket 8 pin right angle din wire off the factory headunit, these rca's run to the back of the car where they go into one amp, coming out of the amp are another set of 6 foot rca cables that go to the other amp, i used 10 gauge wire for the signal on wire, i didn't want to cut into the factory turn on, and the din wire didn't have enough power to do it, so i busted open the fuse box and tapped into the fuse that's used for the sunroof/rear windows on 5dr and conv. since i only have the sunroof, i figured that the fuse was overkill, so i tapped that, i ran one wire to the back, where that splits into two and turns on the two amps, my front speakers use factory wiring, no biggy, and the rear speakers i ran 12 gauge to the amp to power those, and 12 gauge from the other amp to the two subwoofers, i'll take pictures later, right now i'm in my pajamas and i'm cold.

~justin

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
wait burns...you dont need to amp kits....
just get another RCA short you dont need it long....cut some extra remote wire.....and get a power dist. block....and another ground wire...

you can run the RCA through one and out the the other same with the remote wire...

and you can connect both of them..

thats how mine are set up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts