Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...So I'm wrapping up my epic suspension overhaul along with all the other stuff that's gotten piled on top, and while reconnecting the o2 sensor from the downpipe to it's connector at the harness (near the throttle body) noticed that one of the wires snapped off at the connector...It's the green one. (Connector has two white wires and a green one...I'm guessing the green is a ground?) Anyway...I was planning on just replacing the whole wire rather than trying to splice it...where the heck is the other end? Suggestions?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Your 1995?

Interesting, it should only be a 3 wire o2 sesnor. The two whites are the pre-heater, and the black is the signal wire.

Green? Thats the 4 wire O2 sensor I think. And you're right on the 4 wire O2 sensors its a ground wire. A reference ground from the O2 sensor all the way back to the ECU.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, it's a '95. Figures that runs all the way back to the ECU. Looks like I'm splicing it somehow...no way am I dismantling the entire harness all the way back. It's definitely a 3 wire and it's definitely green/white/white from the harness side...I'll look for a 4 wire one when I'm in there digging around tomorrow. I expect this broken wire probably has something to do with the 10mpg drop I was seeing in gas mileage prior to putting it up on blocks for the suspension work, lol.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What colors are the 4 color harness? And any ideas on why mine's colored/setup the way it is?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
If its only a 3 wire, and the other two are white....then that green one must be your signal wire then.

If indeed thats the signal wire, then you should be getting a CEL. Interesting.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No CEL at all. Kinda forgot about that but now that you mention it yeah, you're right...Something is fishy...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So here's a shot of the broken connector...as you can see the wire is 3 wire...2 black/white wires and a green one...however inside the green wire there is bare wire? I'm guessing it's some kind of signal insulation but WTF would you need that on what I'm still assuming is a ground....Can someone give me their thoughts on best way to spice this and repair?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Hmmm - trying to get a good picture to help you out here...

2 White - 1 Black wire is normal - not sure what the green or other white would be for - is there another connector nearby? It may be just something else - you did mention no CEL which makes me believe it's to something else.

Also - you may want to replace that vac. hose since it rubbed through ^

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
At this point, I'd say go to a junkyard, clip off some of another harness and splice it on.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's the weird thing...that green wire? that wire next to it that you're seeing isn't white. It's bare...almost like a stereo signal wire with shielding? Definitely wasn't getting a CEL when it was starting...can't check now since it's in pieces...that definitely was plugged into the o2 sensor though...

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I do believe that the preheated power leads are shielded.

Aright, so heres the deal.

The colors are correct. The Black/White wire is the preheater that goes to Pin 50 on the ECU.

The Black wire is a reference ground that goes to pin 47 on the ECU, and grounds out to a point on the harness that it splits off to.

The Green wire is the signal wire. Goes to pin 23 on the ECU, but also looks like its spliced off to J68, which is a power junction. huh? i dunno.

271 is the O2 sensor, and 136 is the preheater.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So....how should I splice the green wire? What to do with that extra bare wire...? Anyone got any ideas? Lol. It looks like the end that's still attached to the harness just has the green wire in it (Which, how do I get that piece out of the connector?

Dan, I could use your help (and WIS knowledge) with another problem I'm having...some sort of short between my ignition, headlight switch and interior lights...I'll start another thread for that one...lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts