Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right location for this thread.

I recently purchased a 97 900s coupe last April. With exception to replacing the O2 sensor and having the wire that connects the starter to the engine resoldered it's been working fine.
So, here's my dilemma:
Lately, the wipers (intermittent or reg), mirrors, windows, etc. will not work. That is, they'll sort of work then stop midway and maybe start to work again. Sometimes they work fine, but it's seems worse the less I drive.

I think it's a relay or relay connection problem since more than one device is malfunctioning. My electrical engineer Bf confirmed my suspicions while reading the relay layout in the Haynes manual. We were able to isolate the problem devices and they all use the same relay.

Is this something that has happened to any of you? And how simple/complicated is it to repair? According to the manual it doesn't appear that difficult . We're thinking of fixing it ourselves since it's so expensive to have a diagnostic and repair.

I'd really appreciate your help. Thanks, much. ^_^

·
10,303 Posts
A relay is a fairly cheap part, and I'm guessing its one from under the hood on the drivers side by the windshield? It just pops out, and plugs back in.

I haven't fixed this on a Saab, but did something similar with a 300M same situation.

Cheap relays.
http://www.eeuroparts.com/(4lmolgeel2zhbqvj0vjiis45)/newsearchresults.aspx?make=SAAB&year=1997&code=1078&cat=RELAYS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Will definitely check it out. I just hope its the relay and not the wiring itself. ^___^

·
Registered
51 Posts
So, whatever happened, Sever ?

The relay is a little solenoid powered switch. IMO, the German ones are the easiest to understand and work on. They are so kind as to give a schematic on the relay case and identify the terminal;s - at least that was the case in the 60s to the 80s...
If you can bridge the two wires (power in and the "answer" power out), then a diagnosis is performed, and we learn something..
But, to successfully do this a man must know about all the wires - which one is ground,etc..

Anyway, if this "bridging" brings the accessory back to life, then usually it is the relay. However, the switch that controls that little linear solenoid must also function as designed..

BTW,generally, these electrical problems are caused by poor grounds..Sometimes a device may "work", however poorly, by using another ground path - sometimes with disastrous results..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
earthworm:
We've been reading up on my saab manuel and the problem is still persisting.
Sometimes the devices work fine but lately, more often than not they're not working. And in Seattle, malfunctioning wipers are not a good thing. T_T

The turn signals don't seem as affected, but will fail occasionally with the other devices. My father recently purchased a diagnostic device to help with my mother's check engine light on her Acura, so I'm hoping this might help us diagnose the problem.

Last summer after a routine oil change and O2 sensor replacement the guys at the shop happened to knock the crankshaft? wire that connected the starter to the engine. It was corroded, but they were able to resolder it back.
I'm thinking that it's quite possible as you say, that it may be a grounding problem and may require professional service.

The devices will work initially after the car is started but will fail soon after and then come back on and fail again, sporadically. So, we're speculating there is at least a surge of power reaching them, but unable to sustain.

We'll replace the relay first and if the problem persists, I'll probably have to buckle down and take it to a shop.

And thanks for the info!

·
Registered
51 Posts
sever said:
earthworm:

Last summer after a routine oil change and O2 sensor replacement the guys at the shop happened to knock the crankshaft? wire that connected the starter to the engine. It was corroded, but they were able to resolder it back.
I'm thinking that it's quite possible as you say, that it may be a grounding problem and may require professional service.

Please do not change anything until you know exactly what is wrong - the grounding system can be checked using a "multi-meter".
Relays can also be checked out using the meter, but all I do is bypass the relay and see what happens.

There is no wire that connects the starter to the engine.., but there are cables and leads connecting the starter to the battery and to the starter switch(ignition). There is also a sensor that reads crankshaft position - maybe this was the "wire". ??

·
Registered
156 Posts
Check the grounding cable from the battery negative terminal to where it attaches on the chassis. Remove the cable from the chassis, cleanup and brighten the area for a good electrical connection. This should help, it's a fairly common problem.

:!: WARNING!!! Do not disconnect the battery unless you have your radio codes handy. Your radio will not work if you do not have those codes. Your dealer should have them if you give them the VIN number :!:

Another place that can cause strange things to happen is the shorting in the brake lights. The www.townsendimports.com website has more information, look in the electrical folder.

Do you get a 'check engine' light?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts