Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this winter has already caused me to break my wiper arm... again.... The arm was fine until it started moving freely this morning when I picked up the wiper to scrape the windshield. This happened last winter and it ended up just needing the nut tightened, this year, the bolt on the wiper arm snapped off when I tried to tighten it back. Wipers were working great up until this point. I didn't want to spend any more on my car right now after I finally spent my last paycheck getting plates and all. :( Sad panda.

Anyways, y'all have any ideas as to the root cause of this free floating passenger side wiper arm? Is it going to be as simple as replacing this bolt or is there a whole assembly that's going to need replacing?

TIA

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
The splines on the wiper transmission are designed to Stip the inside of the wiper arm if the blades freeze to the windshield. You can't just retighten the nut. You have to remove the wiper arm, and clean the splines each time you stip the splines in the soft aluminum arm. By just tightening the Knut you managed to break the wiper transmission this time, You need a new wiper transmission.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The early 9-3SS wiper transmissions have a little plastic bushing that connects the motor that direct-drives the driver's side arm to the passenger side arm. On the early ones I think it's white.

All the failed ones I have had it's been that bushing that breaks.

The new ones you get when you buy a new wiper trans have a different design for the link arm and the coupler bushing that looks like it will be much stronger, so I always get my customers to go for the new one rather than buying a salvage yard used one that has the old design.

Same goes for front window regulators, they changed the design on those a little recently too, so hopefully they last longer.

Drew

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You'll have to shop around on the parts vendor sites.

Before you buy it you should pull the little access panel off the base of the windshield and make sure yours is actually broken, looks like they are listing out at about $280 for the early ones ('03-'05), the '06+ ones are a little different, not sure which one you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts