Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I have a list of things that I feel are needed for winterizing my car. Snow tires, New thermostat, wiper blades. I think I just added another. My new winter car wasn't heating right. When the temps dropped it only seemed to heat well when the ACC was on high, as soon as I took it off high the car would slowlly cool down inside untill I put it back on high. I cleaned the cabin sensor and it made no differance. I think I found the problem:

Since rplacing the cabin filter the heater is working perfect.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Nice - I've seen only one more a little worse then that. This is why replaceing those cabin filters is a must every now and again. (as you are well aware of) Those filters are very easy to change too thankfully - the 9-5 is a bit more of a pita. Saab says every 30K don't they?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's every 30k. The service requirerments have been changing so much the last few years I have to look up each car by VIN to tell. So many folks here buy CHEAP cars for winter and I'm begining to think these are overlooked anymore, just timing belts on high milage, many owner V-6's

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Check coolant hoses - most of us drive old Saab's and this is the worst time to be stranded due to a blown coolant hose which was too soft to still be in use prior to it's failure. I would put that on the top of the things to check list - replace any hoses which feel weak or you suspect and deam questionable.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Well - my customer w/ 2 Saab's called me this weekend with CEL on in both cars. Sure as shit they both have P0116 Coolant Temp. Circuit Performance Problems - and the 00' 9-3 is running like ASS until it warms up. Both will be getting new T-stats, temp sensors and fresh coolant tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I don't know if others do this, but I'll either coat the inside of my fenders with motor oil, or stuff rags soaked with oil inside of them. I also do the same to the underbody, brushing it all over the floor. I've heard that such prevents rust, something we here in the Northeast get too much of!

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I'll either coat the inside of my fenders with motor oil, or stuff rags soaked with oil inside of them. I also do the same to the underbody, brushing it all over the floor.
Wouldn't the oil eventually get washed away by snow and crap?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
There used to be a couple places in our area that would spray the underside of your car or truck with a fish oil and wax mix. Lots of my buddies used to have their trucks done back in the day. Modern cars have much better undercarriage protection so it's a lost enterprise.

I bought some WaxOyl and an applicator that I'll probably spray the underside of my car with this winter. I gotta see if my buddy will let me use his grease pit.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You would think so, but my uncle swears by doing this shit to his cars and trucks, and honestly I have never seen him have rust on any of his vehicles. I have no idea how often he does it however, and it may be related to him washing the salt off and taking care of it exct.

I wouldn't do it personally.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was actually talking about doing the oil thing for a car that is sitting the winter. On a DD, I agree that the salt, slush, and other things would probably wash or erode the oil over time. At the same time though, I don't think it would hurt to do it either. It would only increase the effectiveness of rust-prevention activity during the winter.

Also, nice product suggestion by Turbcon! After reviewing their website, I'll definitely be picking up some of that. Looks like a fantastic product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts