Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my second B5 Audi S4 a few weeks back. Got a deal I couldn't turn down and I had to pull the trigger. Owner was an accountant who needed to buy a new car asap for a second child, so I swung in when he posted it on craigslist for just a few hundred over what he was being offered in trade-in.

Details:
6-speed manual
Black onyx heated leather with birds-eye maple trim
Bose surround Audio
Upgraded RS4 clutch and pressure plate
Bilstein HD's & HR springs, drops car 1.5 inches or something. Looks good but is STIFF as hell.
Stage 1 chip
Center vent VDO boost gauge
Clear corner mod
17" BBS VZ rims

Car runs and shifts awesome. Leaks and burns nothing. No CEL's or any codes whatsoever either...boosts and handles superbly. Only real "con" is rebuilt title history from early in the car's life, although the title I have is a valid, recent, clean NYS one. Car is straight as an arrow though and never had any serious/structural damage. Besides that historical issue, it needs minor paint wear on both the front & rear bumpers fixed/re-sprayed, so I figured I'd drive it for a few months, do the paint work myself (should be cake), and then just sell it come spring to make a few dollars. Hopefully it will be minty by then!

pics:

Front (missing the silver filler plate which I have uninstalled in the trunk)

Matching BBS wheel off getting tire replaced...little trim piece missing now put back on.

After it's all beautified, look for a forsale thread in the coming months. I'll have one here and on the audi/vw forums!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Front bumper looks a bit off or is it just me?
Could be the lighting or the snow on top of it. Looks fine and straight in person. There is a small crack in the passenger side of it that you can see in the picture. Other than that, the front bumper and fenders never took any damage. I think the drivers door (and some airbags) was the only thing to ever have been replaced. More pics to come when it's not so cold!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I loved driving those when i worked for an Audi dealership, the only thing i noticed is that pretty much everyone that was modified or had more than 50k miles had a really notchy shifter that would grind sometimes. Could have just been all beaten to hell too though. Nice find.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I loved driving those when i worked for an Audi dealership, the only thing i noticed is that pretty much everyone that was modified or had more than 50k miles had a really notchy shifter that would grind sometimes. Could have just been all beaten to hell too though. Nice find.
That can be a common Audi/S4 problem. I know that some of the early B5's had 1-2 shift gate issues and it caused them to be notchy, grindy, etc. I've heard of trannys actually locking up if the internal issues get to severe. I luckily don't have that problem (knock on wood). These are awesome machines, but they are so prone to failing parts and expensive maintenance that it's not even funny.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Love B5 S4's, too scared to own another one at this point in my life! Hope you come out on top after you sell it.
Thanks. I share the same feelings about the potential costs of maintenance. That's why I won't keep it long term. Despite that though, it's a really solid car. No infamous dentist drill turbo whine, leaks, or anything major mechanically wrong (knock on wood!). As for coming out on top, I shouldn't have too much trouble. I stole the car for a really good price, like a good amount below $5000, so I figure that after a little tlc, I should be able to get at least $6000-$7000 without too much trouble. Similar, somewhat low mileage S4's, even ones with salvage titles, have been selling for 6.5-8k, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble making a few dollars while still being able to give someone a really good deal.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ones on the back or the ones on the front?
I have the missing BBS rim ready to go on, lol. Drivers side looks so dumb with the spare currently on, hence the reason why the pics are mostly of the passenger side. Hopefully the rims will hold up! I wonder sometimes though, especially considering that I've seen so many bent BBS RK or RKII's. Time shall tell.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I learned how to drive stick on one of these cars. My dad had a black one he got brand new. Traded it in around 65k miles before potential "maintenance" issues... I sort of have a soft spot for the S4 because of this.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Nice. I had an earlier s4 (93) a few years ago and kick myself for selling it every time we get a big snow storm. Great fun for a winter car, and there's always a kid in a backwards baseball hat to buy it when you're done with it

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I miss my old S4 Avant we had. But given the repair history, I unloaded it before the warranty ran out. Shortest time I've ever owned a car (2 years). Traded it in on the 9-5.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I miss my old S4 Avant we had. But given the repair history, I unloaded it before the warranty ran out. Shortest time I've ever owned a car (2 years). Traded it in on the 9-5.
Yeah, the S4 Avants are really desireable these days. Low mileage ones, either stock or modded, bring big money for approx 10 yr old used cars! They have a big following.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts