Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a deal I couldn't pass up. This will get my Viggen off the road for the winter as I need a car that has a little more ground clearance for the winter. I found this beauty for a really good (I think) price. Ended up talking the seller down to $750

1992 900S 3 door 2.1L 5 speed

157k on the clock, very little surface rust, no structural rust, paint ended up shining right back up after I took some polish and wax to it. Runs like a top, doesn't leak. Transmission may be starting to have some issues as it likes to pop out of third gear on occasion. It seems like its in really good shape for its age. The leather seats are a bit rough but still comfy. I think it's a good starting point to get into C900's and definitely a fun little car. I love the power of the my stage 4 viggen but this thing is just a down right cool little car to drive.

Another little interesting feature, the vin reads as a auto but the car is a 5 speed. Wonder if someone swapped? or what the story is.
On to the pictures:

Stopped at the local junkyard and found a turbo lip spoiler for $10:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice score! If the cruise control doesn't work, it's likely a swapped tranny.

(That sounds dirty.)
That would be it. I spent part of this afternoon trying to track down why the cruise wouldn't work :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Supposedly, there's a way to get it to work, but PaulH knows much more about that than I do.

There are a couple of other ways to tell, one of them being how the throttle cable is threaded or designed, I believe.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really doesn't bother me that much at this time. If it's a major hassle I could really care less if it worked or not. I'm having way too much fun with this car. I have never really driven or even rode in a C900 before this and I'm hooked now.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
It really doesn't bother me that much at this time. If it's a major hassle I could really care less if it worked or not. I'm having way too much fun with this car. I have never really driven or even rode in a C900 before this and I'm hooked now.
Just remember that that's a decent little engine that's way more capable that people give it credit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just remember that that's a decent little engine that's way more capable that people give it credit.
I've noticed that. It has 157k on it, is almost 20 years old, and runs amazing. It has a decent amount of power too. I was expecting a complete dog when I test drove it.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
I've noticed that. It has 157k on it, is almost 20 years old, and runs amazing. It has a decent amount of power too. I was expecting a complete dog when I test drove it.
The power is good. You just need to plan a bit to do passing and all, but very solid. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We've only had one 2.1 in the family, a 92, and it was a great car to drive. Sure, you needed to really rev the pewps out of it when passing on the highway etc, but it ALWAYS got 30+mpg, saw up to 36mpg on a long highway trip. Mostly trouble free too. Flush that trans fluid and shift slowly, I bet you wont have too much trouble with it.

Wish there were more 900's for $750 around here. I could sure use a beater to save my Viggen from another winter of salt duty.

Chris

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Not bad! That rust doesn't look too bad at all. Hopefully this will be my 9-5's last winter. Probably going to buy a 900 for next winter. So will it be your dedicated winter car for years to come, or just this year?

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Nice, did you find it in Duluth? There are a good deal of auto to manual swapped C900s up there. I've had my hands in several, and I know of a few others who did quite a few too. Oh, and the super lifted looking front end is another indicator. The autos were a good deal heavier and the springs were heavy to compensate. Replace with a lighter manual trans and boom, more 4x4 looking than before.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice, did you find it in Duluth? There are a good deal of auto to manual swapped C900s up there. I've had my hands in several, and I know of a few others who did quite a few too. Oh, and the super lifted looking front end is another indicator. The autos were a good deal heavier and the springs were heavy to compensate. Replace with a lighter manual trans and boom, more 4x4 looking than before.
Yup older dude had it up here and had had it for the last 4 years, he knew a ton about saabs and had owned at least one of each generation back to the 96's. It was really interesting talking to him. I called him tonight and asked him about the transmission and he said all he knew was that prior to him owning it his friend owned it for a year and prior to that one of the guys that works at Foreign Affairs up here pieced the car together using this clean shell and he believed a whole different motor/tranny out of a wrecked low mileage car but he couldn't confirm anything for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Hmpf. Explains the "reverse rake" on my car. I knew mine was born an auto from the VIN, but never understood the huge gap up front. Any way to rectify?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
but never understood the huge gap up front. Any way to rectify?
Find either a free set of Turbo springs or a set of SPG springs for that lower, better handling ride ;)

Nice winter beater otherwise! Those c900's are fun to drive - but be very positive around it; they are extremely sensitive to a negative persona it seems. They also do not like to sit long periods of time taken apart, so finish and projects quickly or it will get even with you.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Find either a free set of manual transmissionTurbo springs or a set of SPG springs for that lower, better handling ride ;)
You could still get the turbo in an auto, and it will sit higher if you have turbo auto trans springs in it.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Find either a free set of Turbo springs or a set of SPG springs for that lower, better handling ride ;)

Nice winter beater otherwise! Those c900's are fun to drive - but be very positive around it; they are extremely sensitive to a negative persona it seems. They also do not like to sit long periods of time taken apart, so finish and projects quickly or it will get even with you.
You could still get the turbo in an auto, and it will sit higher if you have turbo auto trans springs in it.
Yeah, already have turbo springs. Didn't know they were different auto to man... interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts