Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
As far as I know, all the wiring for the nav set up is different. So I think you'd be out of luck if you just tried to pop it in.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Did your 9-5 have Nav offered as an option when it was new? If no - then there is no pre-wiring in the car.

It's like the Auto-Dim mirrors which started in 2002 - Saab says that 1/2 year 2001 started to have the wiring for them (the two I work on/own are not pre-wired) so there is a good chance your older car is the same case.

Could you install it and make it work - sure, but you will probably need more then just the head unit.

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
It's like the Auto-Dim mirrors which started in 2002 - Saab says that 1/2 year 2001 started to have the wiring for them (the two I work on/own are not pre-wired) so there is a good chance your older car is the same case.
Really? My 2001 Aero has an auto dimmer.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Really? My 2001 Aero has an auto dimmer.
Well you said it yourself - "AERO" meaning - FULLY LOADED. I'd expect an Aero to have one or be pre-wired for it at the least. Our 2001's are just Regular 2.3t Auto Wagon's. No connectors for the auto-dim installed. I will make it work in ours one day - just have other things to do first. I also plan to install one in my 95' 9000 eventually (since I have 2 of them)

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
Well you said it yourself - "AERO" meaning - FULLY LOADED. I'd expect an Aero to have one or be pre-wired for it at the least. Our 2001's are just Regular 2.3t Auto Wagon's. No connectors for the auto-dim installed. I will make it work in ours one day - just have other things to do first. I also plan to install one in my 95' 9000 eventually (since I have 2 of them)
I was just responding to the 2002+ comment is all.

·
Registered
369 Posts
This got me looking. Another site (sorry but the world ain't flat ;)), just had a review on one of these. I was so psyched to see that you could aftermarket I started a search and missed a detail.

The guy just had a Pioneer Avic installed (F700bt), and he hates everything about it. Long boot time and hard to read or understand the voice. When my old Garmin was starting to "give up the ghost" often, I'd get where I was going before it found reception.

Glad the economy is good for some because he was off buying another. :shock:

These puppies start at like $500 for a no name. The Pioneer are like $1,000.

BTW, Best Buy said $100 for installation yesterday. I just got some bad news on paint so I'll be buying a refurbished or base Garmin.

Classic, "me" however, see the thread and go blasting off never realizing the unit sucked? Details, what me worry about details? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am talking about the OEM unit...its very easy to buy the double din kit from Europe and install these type of units...Im pretty sure I could buy the OEM Nav unit for less that 200 USD...this would be the way to go...I am not spending 1000 dollars for a stereo/nav unit...that is insane for the technology it provides...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ebay, recycle yard, craigslist, etc...Im still not sure exactly what you need to do this install however...it apears that the navigation computer is seperate from the unit...? So it may be something that is too compicated and not worth the time to do.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
cking1975, where could you buy the OEM unit from for $200?
Well posted above is one for 400, you can get them from time to time at around 200. There are not map updates available anymore and many people are pulling them to add aftermarket units

This got me looking. Another site (sorry but the world ain't flat ;)), just had a review on one of these. I was so psyched to see that you could aftermarket I started a search and missed a detail.

The guy just had a Pioneer Avic installed (F700bt), and he hates everything about it. Long boot time and hard to read or understand the voice. When my old Garmin was starting to "give up the ghost" often, I'd get where I was going before it found reception.

Glad the economy is good for some because he was off buying another. :shock:

These puppies start at like $500 for a no name. The Pioneer are like $1,000.

BTW, Best Buy said $100 for installation yesterday. I just got some bad news on paint so I'll be buying a refurbished or base Garmin.

Classic, "me" however, see the thread and go blasting off never realizing the unit sucked? Details, what me worry about details? :rolleyes:
People have talked aoubt the Avic 700 problems for years, the only cool thing about it was its hackability, you could add images and programs.

You can get good deals on the Alpine Kenwood and other units for 500 and you can get all to fit and work as a preamp with the stock amp ( or replace it) You just need the Clarion faceplate and you are golden...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most is integrated in the Denso unit. You'll need different connectors because they are different from the regular head unit. I think the GPS antenna is in the the dash somewhere. The Denso also requires a different cage and other things.

I currently have the factory Denso unit in my car. It's not perfect but I like it. It looks nicely integrated with the rest of the dash. Colors match the other dash lighting.

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-700BT in a previous 9-5. While it had more features, it didn't look as integrated. But still pretty cool. It wasn't perfect either but it was about $600. Definitely worth the money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts