Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my car has been randomly shutting of while driving. It doesn't stall or anything, just shuts off. The other day it simply didn't start. No sputtering, no crank or anything. Someone looked at it, and advised me to replace my ignition switch. I ordered that, replaced it, and still nothing. I live in Maine so the local mechanics aren't really excited about working on Saabs (Which is odd considering a large portion of the population drives them). I called a Saab mechanic, and he advised me to let it roll down a hill and jumpstart it in first gear. Others said try higher gears... Frankly, I live directly downtown with very busy traffic, and a police station across the street, so me pushing my car down a hill to see if it will work isn't really a good idea. I'm not really sure where to start. I'd rather not pay $50 bucks to tow it, plus the $70 I spent on the ignition switch, and another $85 an hour to get it looked at. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Here I sit with no car.

Another minor issue I have is that it heats up like crazy, so I had to install a fan to keep it cool. Not sure why or how to prevent that, because even with the fan it's still way too hot.

The only major mod I have is a cool air intake.

93 Cs 9000-No turbo.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
a CPS would not be a no crank, which is what hes decribing.

leweston auto sales is a saab shop in ME, and they are terrific, talk to rick or Jp, both know there stuff

ignition switch sounds like a good canidate, but it could also be related to a ground/connection issue.

next time it doesnt want to start, poke around with a volt meter, check for current at the starter, start solanoid, grounds, ect ect,,

mike

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The 9000's are notorious for main relay failures - they take a lot of current when everything is powered on, and get kind of melty.

In your '93 it's behind the glove box in the main relay panel, it's either white or light grey. Look for it to be discolored around the pins.

You can also key the ignition on, and tap on the relay and see if everything powers up, and if you hear the relay open and close when you cycle the key on and off.

If you find it looks icky try swapping it with one of the fan control relays from the relay block under the hood behind the battery, they are the same, and see if the car starts.

Barring that do as Mike says, check the main battery cables and connections very carefully, where the ground cables connect at the end of the transmission case, and from the alternator bracket back to the pass. side strut tower. Check the positive terminals from the battery to the main dist. block by the battery, to the starter, and to the alternator.

Drew

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Seems silly, but unplug the ECU, plug it back in, and see if it starts.

For some reason that worked on my car when it wouldn't start, and the tach needle didn't move upon cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.