Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my pads and rotors replaced about 3 months ago on my viggen. I put on new stock rotors and EBC greenstuff in the front, then everything stock in the back. Just this morning i was about to pull out of the gas station and im rolling at about 5 mph and i start braking and it makes this horrible grinding sound from the right front. It was kind of subtle but it doesnt sou nd pretty. Not a sqeak at all but i can almost feel the grinding through the pedal too, unless im just imaging that cause it sounds so bad. I was thinking it could be a pebble stuck between the rotor and pad or something else, or could it be i was driving hard and the pads glazed over from a fast stop???? and it could just be making this noise temporarily......any help would be great, thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take a look at the rotor... Might be a pad fingerprint.

You can read http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/warped_rotors_myth.htm for suggestions.

DO not follow the stoptech method of braking your pads in especially with crossdrilled rotors. The intense heat cycling that this method causes can actually promote warping and cracking. Instead, go with traditional break in of braking lightly for the first 1000 miles.

Do NOT sit at the light with your foot on the brake with new rotors! this is the most common cause of a pad fingerprint on your brakes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it was just recently and i have driven at least 3k or more miles on these.....i may have just not heard it before but i doubt its from breaking them in wrong......also is pad fingerprint that bad or is it just annoying

·
Registered
134 Posts
did you do the brakes yourself I dont know if those pads are the new synthetic type or whatever they are made of it is possilble they are directional some are made that way kind of rare though but if they were and they were put on the wrong side of the car they will cause alot more wear look at the rotor somtime and see if it looks like it is getting toren up

·
Registered
122 Posts
WS said:
well it was just recently and i have driven at least 3k or more miles on these.....i may have just not heard it before but i doubt its from breaking them in wrong......also is pad fingerprint that bad or is it just annoying
Pad fingerprint is very visible on your rotor. It appears as residue on your rotor in the shape of your brake pad. This typically occurs on hot brakes when you apply pressure while the vehicle is stationary. Material transfers from the pad to the brake leaving a fingerprint. The fingerprint adhers to the rotor and has different frictional properties from the rotor material, causing steering vibration and a feeling that the rotor is 'warped'. Turning your rotors will remove the material, but will require your rotors get broken in all over again.

If you have a manual transmission car, foot off the brake at intersections unless you are on a hill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts