Saab Link Forums banner

Why not Rota?

5K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Castor Troy 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#8 ·
I think Rota wheels work for daily use, but they are weakened in a track situation (like many wheels).

Most of these bent/cracked/separated wheels happen while at track events. Excessive heat from the brakes drastically heat up the wheel, and affect its strength.

We all know Rotas are inexpensive wheels, and that corners must be cut in order to make them. They are not a track wheel. They will not withstand the worlds biggest pothole.

Don't track use them for events where you are doing repeated heavy braking over and over again. If you are doing track events spend some money on your wheels to withstand the heat/pressure of being beaten. Ideally get a forged wheel for that.

#9 ·
how about dont use them ever? i really cant believe you're trying to justify using those pieces of shit in any condition. those things wouldnt last a week on duluth roads, and a lot of areas in the cities arent any better.

#10 ·
actually ive heard of most of those rotas breaking on hondas and the like from spirited driving, not track use
and we know most hondas dont have the torque our cars have

i give it a thumbs up for the good looking wheels rota puts out
but a thumbs down on using them and their quailty

#13 ·
actually ive heard of most of those rotas breaking on hondas and the like from spirited driving, not track use
and we know most hondas dont have the torque our cars have
And the extra curb weight either.

#16 ·
lol.

yes, cheap wheels are ricer.

ever see some of the shit on tire rack?

the borken rota pictures are 99% of the time taken out of context. 2 of them had been proven to occur after an asshat did an ebrake slide/snow drift into a curb.

there perfectly fine, its just that the few times i checked they make no wheels that fit a saab (there are sizes listed on the site that are not mass produces and require full orders ie group buy style to even be made)

#17 ·
rota's

Really ? these wheels are not that good eh,i picked up a set a few months ago,RB 16,[16x7]they look like the carroll shelby wheels.putting tires on them this weekend.i dont plan on track use but i guess i better hang on to the spg wheels i have.this is very discouraging news.

one more thing,whats the torque specs for the wheel bolts on a 89 900 turbo ?

#22 ·
Bunch of guys in our club use them for autocrossing, they are fine for what they are. Are they as strong as a forged wheel? No.

I've been autocrossing/tracking on cheapie TireRack cast wheels for 3 years now, Stage 3 car. Zero issues. Would I love a set of better wheels? Sure, but it's not in the budget.

#23 ·
^Agreed. I think much has been made of nothing.

It's either bad install or driving situation that has caused the failure, much like really any wheel. Even with enough incompetence or the right scenario the forged ones can be busted for Godsake. We have all seen examples of a busted (insert expensive/qaulity name) wheels.

How bad can a ROTA be if they are certified by VIA, JWL, and ISO?

I think the Rota failures are blown way out of proportion.

There are so many people running Rota's at the track and otherwise, if there were a systemic problem with Rota's failing, we would see and hear about a lot more incidences than the few that get spread around the net like wildfire. What ever you think about the replica factor, it does not mean the wheels are going to fall apart any faster than the wheel that was copied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.