Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
soooo i get me 199 9-3 back from the place i purchased the car from a week ago and tonight the serpentine belt broke. one week i mean really come on guys saab is not doing it for me right now. i just got the thing back last week from getting the head gasket replaced the car only has 55,000 miles on it so you tell me what the deal is. dont buy any cars from portsmouth auto trends. i will keep you posted
thanks for letting me vent i have to meet the tow guy now. greg

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
They may have loosened the belt when they replaced the head gasket. Then they probably over tightened it when done. Of course I have never replaced a head gasket, so I don't know know the process. :roll: Usually when something happens to a Saab, other things usually follow, but only for a little while...then it lasts for a long time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so they came and towed my car to the place i purchased the car from. i am thinking the should fix what is wrong being they might be the ones who casued the problem. i have heard great things about saabs everyone that my girlfriend works with drives one but they are they are 94" or older except for the boss he has a brand new 9-5 arc which would never have a problem. i am just getting a little nevered being the car only had 45,000 om it when i got it and i put 10,000 on it and it is falling apart. i planned on driving this car to florida from new hampshire in 2 months now i am think of buying a new car like a Acura or a VW.
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'd be really curious to find out what motor or version your car is.
Whether its turbo'd or non-turbo'd. I believe SAAB's bread and butter is based on the 2.0 turbo'd block. This Hemispherical (HEMI) overhead cam engine, is one of the most efficient in design for torque specs. You have a dependable car already; you just have to do the little things to keep her running right.

When little things go bad, bigger things are bound to happen.

Recommendations:
Replace all of the hoses, flush the coolant system, and change the oil/fuel filters, and most importantly having your head retorqued (now that your gasket has been replaced), this will still be a whole lot less compared to buying another vehicle.

A SAAB car is like a good woman, its the little things that count.

(sales pitch complete)

·
10,303 Posts
Ok, what was the car doing to signal a bad headgasket. you may have gotten away with a head re-torquing, but if put off for a while the headgasket would have gone. So this may have just been maintenence neglegted by prev owner.

What did the belt look like when you got it? I drove my car from when I got it at 75k to 115k b4 I replaced the belt for lack of anything better to do that day. I dont think anything with the head changed caused it, unless they spilled some chemical on it. The tensioner is spring tightened. So it tightens till the belt doesn't give anymore. As the belt loosens over time, it gets tighter

I don't think a VW is a good idea, they have more problems than Saab does right now. Just ask anybody where you can get a Mk 4 ignition coil. From a car only being driven 45k in 4-5 years its possible that the belt had some dry rot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the head was leakign fluid. and it was leaking more and more every day. when i got the car back the pulley tension was making nosise the head tech guy said it was fine and the sound would go away which it did but would come back now and then. a week later the pulley tensioner locked up killing the belt.
I guess you do have to look out for certain shit like that. see i would usally brign my car to get worked on but i dont have a garage, and i thought a saab would be more advanced then my 1995 nissan king cab 4x4 v6 which is a tank. never had a problem with that thign and it has 178,000 miles on it. there is a better saab place i am goign to take my car to now called saab tech in Barrington NH hopfully this will be better.

FOR SALE 1999 9-3 silver two door, 2.0 turbo $11,000 or R.B.O.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
dude, don't sell your car, when i first got mine, my clutch cable got really stretched out, and my serpentine belt broke because the tensioner pulley and idler pulley seized, after replacing those i have had no troubles at all. i live right near you, i live in wells maine, there is a saab place up here in kennebunk called swedish imports, really really reasonably priced, i mean, when i got some things replaced on my car, i checked out the prices at autozone after, and the saab place charged less! their website is www.saabandvolvo.com i strongly recomend going to them

hell, i could have told you not to buy from auto trends, also, don't buy from that place near water country, bourniville i think it is, they are really bad, they will keep your normal car keys when you test drive their cars, and wont give them back unless you buy the car, they have had so many people call the cops on them.

don't sell your car just yet, give it a little bit more time, and definately don't buy a vw, tweek is right, so many things go wrong with those it isn't funny
the reason your nissan is lasting a long time, is usually older cars are built to last, newer cars aren't, it's like old appliances, sure they make more noise, but they do a better job and last forever.

we should meet sometime, i can look at your saab, and you can mine, i drive a 97 saab 900s btw

~justin

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
very well said justin - all ya need is a little helper maybe to get that Saab back in the shape ya want it in. Maybe the Saab is sensing you don't belive in it, thus making bad vibes and causing a few issues :roll: Don't Sell it - fix it - it's like they say in the song about women - "it's cheaper to keep her" 8) :p

·
10,303 Posts
Movit, everytime I upgrade something on my car, something completly unrelated goes. Spend $1200 on suspension, the caliper seizes. Spend $xxxx on Turbo and intercooler, a week later the turbo spits a bearing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the words of incouragement they are well taken. ya the place by water country PORTSMOUTH USED CAR SUPER STORE tried to screw with us once by not giving back our deposit. lucky for them they did give it back. anyways i am going hjoem to night for the rim job hahahlolol i will elt you guys know how it goes. and justin we should get togeather but i m going to be kind of busy with the trip and sprig landscapeing but like i siad i workign in eliot so see ya sometime
later guys greg

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
yeah. i am near elliot too, when, i'm a little busy now, but flexable, let me know when you can hang out, and don't get rid of the saab

~justin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got my rimed welded by my dad today i found two cracks got the thing rebalanceed and it is smooth all the way to 95 mph but hen i ran out of raod later guys

1 - 12 of 12 Posts