Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished upgrading my Garrett turbo to the TD04 turbo. I also did the PCV 6 update and dropped and cleaned the oil pan.

Unfortunately, I am still getting white smoke out the tail pipe. I understand that some white smoke is customary since there is probably oil in the intake system that needs to be burned off, but mine seems to be pretty bad.

Also, the white smoke does not start right away. It idles and revs beautifully cold. I took the car out for a spin(just one large block) and by the time I came back, the car was almost billowing white smoke.

What I want to know is if it is normal to have such large amounts of white smoke, and can I hurt the car running it like this? Do I need to do something to help rid the car of the oil in the intake? Is there too much(intercooler needs to be cleaned out?)? Do I ask too many questions? I also am unsure if hooking things up incorrectly(BPC valve or PCV update) would cause these issues.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Was the old turbo smoking prior to change/upgrade? If so - it's oil in the exhaust that must burn off. Shouldn't take any longer then an hour of running. The higher the revs the faster it will burn off. Usually at the dealer we would take them to the back lot and hold them @ 2500-3000RPM until the cloud lessened, then take them on a test drive under a full load up a hill - by time you come back there should be almost no more smoking.

Otherwise if it was NOT smoking before - make sure you aren't leaking oil or coolant anywhere. Could be a faulty used turbo? Or the headgasket has let go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks....

Yes, the car did billow out white smoke (James Bond Style) when I bought it...I bought it cheap, and figured I could fix either head gasket or turbo issue. It would start to billow out white smoke almost immediately. Also, I have noticed alot of oil IN the throttle body and intake pipes...so I was hoping that it was that there was alot of oil in the intake pipes that needs to be burned out.

I was also thinking head gasket as a possibility, but I did go in and do the retorquing that is recommended and the head bolts were all very good and tight. When I was diagnosing the first turbo, I thought it was the head gasket because it billowed out white smoke and it did not smell like burning oil to me...as it turns out, it was the turbo (impeller was loose, turbo full of oil).

Are there any other ways to tell if it could be the head gasket? The car does not seem to overheat, in fact, the radiator fans have never come on, which kind of scares me...Temp always seems to stay in the middle. The white smoke kind of scares me (im a little gun shy after the turbo issue) and I turn the car off after it starts to billow smoke. I guess I will just have to let it burn!!!

If it is the head gasket, I just need to make sure to watch the temp gauge and coolant level, correct? I am not looking forward to doing a head gasket job on this car...the turbo was way out of my usual mechanical comfort zone.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Did you drain the oil out of the Intercooler???? If not - drain that out first - clean the throttle body out and run it.

Oil Smoke = Blueish tint (looks white to me) and VERY thick - often you can FEEL the oil if you place your hand by the tail-pipe. Smells very much like burning oil.

Coolant Smoke = White/Haze - often a more sticky feel if hand placed behind tail-pipe. Smells very sweet/coolant like

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not clean out the intercooler. The posting I went by said that if the old impeller was not shredded up, then 9 times out of 10, the oil could be burned out of the intake system without pulling the intercooler.

It does not seem to difficult to pull the intercooler out, so perhaps I will do that to help speed up this burn off process...and I suppose that there should be no oil present in the throttle body???? Mine was saturated....so, the mystery is solved - I am a knucklehead and need to clean the TB and IC out and hopefully this will fix my smoke cloud issue - FINALLY!!!! I will update when I complete my work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Pull the spark plugs...take a small flashlight with a narrow beam and shine in down the hole...if the top of the piston is shiny, the head gasket is allowing coolant into the piston chamber and steam cleaning the tops of the pistons...check all the spark plugs...head gaskets can leak in all different places...and if the gasket was really bad, re-torque of the head bolts could have made it worse...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just remove the lower hose and jack the car up from the other side - it will get MOST of it out that way and you won't need to remove the IC itself. Spray a little Brake Kleen into it and wipe out what you can get.
A most excellent suggestion! I think I will do this tonight. From everything I have gathered, I think the turbo could be fine. The smoking now comes and goes, so I think that the oil is slowly being pushed out of the exhaust. I will dump any oil from the intercooler tonight...hopefully it speeds up the process.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Pull the spark plugs...take a small flashlight with a narrow beam and shine in down the hole...if the top of the piston is shiny, the head gasket is allowing coolant into the piston chamber and steam cleaning the tops of the pistons...check all the spark plugs...head gaskets can leak in all different places...and if the gasket was really bad, re-torque of the head bolts could have made it worse...
Does not always clean it as you described - often it leaves things white as it's the residue left over after burning coolant. But either way - it's worth pulling a few of the plugs if not all to be sure it's not a headgasket.

If you clean the throttle body - buy a plastic bristle brush to clean out the TB unit with some light Brake Kleen useage. A soft rag will also work, but cannot get deep into the TB.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Does not always clean it as you described - often it leaves things white as it's the residue left over after burning coolant. But either way - it's worth pulling a few of the plugs if not all to be sure it's not a headgasket.

If you clean the throttle body - buy a plastic bristle brush to clean out the TB unit with some light Brake Kleen useage. A soft rag will also work, but cannot get deep into the TB.
You like to argue don't you :) Ok white stuff too...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
You like to argue don't you :) Ok white stuff too...
As long as you realize I'm ALWAYS RIGHT :D lol Yeah - I have love to pick at things and it's always fun to get people on a tangent too.... I like to antagonize and am the voice in the back of your head, often not the voice of reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the help

thanks I will pull the plugs to check. I ran into another little problem though and will have to fix a very large oil leak before I can get back to the main issue. Seems like I was over zealous tightening the oil filter housing bolt, the oil inlet and return side, and broke bolt and all my oil spilled out. I now have to go to the store to get some needle nosed pliers to try and get the broken bolt out....

I will update once I get back to my original issue.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I blew smoke all over the freeway for about 10 miles and the smoke finally cleared...I had people flipping me off, cutting me off, etc and I had my 4 year old son in the car...I even cleaned out the intercooler...so 400+ later I guess the only problem with my car was the new turbo needed to blow out all the old oil...On a brighter note...I did fix my dryer today :)...anyway broken banjo bolts happen because they cant take over-torque...the are hallow...:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts