Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my coupe has been laid up for a few weeks now, and since I'm garaging it for the winter I thought what better time to do all the rehab and mods I've been wanting to do for oh so long. It recently collided with another vehicle so for rehab I need to..

1) Weld in a new bumper bracket
2) Replace the hood, bumper cover, and driver's fender (which will likely mean painting used ones, as white is hard to come by)

For mods I just want...

1) Custom sport/wood/leather steering wheel
2) Catalog kit all the way around (just missing the front piece currently)
3) Custom tan/black leather seats
4) Valve cover and DIC powder coating
5) Viggen Springs + Bilstein Shocks
6) Possibly a vig or sport spoiler down the road

I've attached a few pics of the damage... I'll post more pics of the car itself tomorrow. Anyone have a bumper bracket already cut off a car?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I pulled the entire front end off.. I.E. The bumper, radiator, headlights, IC, etc.. The ONLY bent part is the bumper bracket and fender support. I was told by a local body/frame shop it could be bent back, but I'd rather just be certain and get a new one welded in. I haven't had the frame measured and what not by a collision place, but from looking at the front with everything off I think I'm okay. I drove it around for another week after the accident and it didn't pull or anything. I hit the rear right corner of a Subaru Outback. Women stopped hard cause she missed her turn. I happened to be looking somewhere else for that 1/128 of a second and just had time to pull that far over to avoid major damage. Was moving at about 12mph. So... I'll have to learn to spray and weld this winter!

I had an extra coupe seat sitting in my garage from an old parts car, so I took the skin off and gave it to a guy on the seacoast of NH who works with leather for a template. He is hopefully going to stitch me up a tan seat with black inserts or something along those lines. It's hard to come up with a good looking blend like that I think. I'll post some sketches I made tomorrow afternoon of the ideal end product. I might get something embossed to, but not sure what.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clutch Replacement

Well it's time. The first major over haul of the winter is going to be the clutch. It pretty much crapped out in my driveway today and warrants replacement. I've got two questions. How imperative is flywheel resurfacing (136K on the original) and anyone have any sources for cheaper parts without sacrificing quality?

I'm going with the Genuine Saab Clutch Kit on eeuroparts.com at $228.54 and the Dorman Slave Cylinder/Throwout Bearing found at rockauto.com for $79.79.

I need to do the whole job in pretty much one day, so Mike D pointed me to a semi-local shop to resurface the wheel ASAP at a reasonable price, but I just want to know how important it is so I can arrange things ahead of time. Trying to find someone with an engine I-beam support I can borrow and someone else to lend a helping hand in the meantime. The horrible thing is I'll be putting a 'new' tranny in next February, so I'll have to go through most of this all over again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts