Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is kinda spawned by the "Seized" thread. I never even considered it a problem until then.
My car sometimes makes a "whine" sound on a cold start, until it warms up. Kinda sounds like a powersteering pump low on fluid. The sound occurs (to the best i can recall) when it is in drive, and idling forward, or under light throttle. I can't tell which side its from, it kinda just.....resonates throughout the cabin.

Its been doing it for at least a year from what I can remember, but it is always intermittent. In other words, it's not something that happens every day when I go to work in the morning (or maybe I just don't notice it? I will turn the radio down and try to listen for it now...)

Anyway, PoisonBeef suggested that its sludge related, potentially. Should I have the oil pan dropped ASAP?

The sound never bothered me until this discussion came up.

Maybe it's the alternator? I know that when i have my AC on I hear a whirr (discussed in another thread) but several people said that THAT is most likely the alternator. Maybe I have two birds on one stone here?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Um, well I have traced numerous engine noises in the passed year or so so I follow a general procedure.

1. When does the noise occur: is it while the engine is idling, in gear?
2. At what rate does the noise occur: Is it RPM dependent, is it speed dependent, or is it unrelated?
3. Is it on the drive belt: if you think it is part of the drive belt, take the serp belt off, and start your engine, let it run for a few seconds, if you hear NO noise, it is in the serp belt system, if you still hear it, it is not part of the serp belt (unless it is the crank, doubt it).
4. Locate noise: If it was the drive belt, it should be rpm dependent and would be confirmed by step 3. Locate the noise, otherwise, could be internal.

If I were you, I would drop the pan, think of it as an extensive oil change. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Doing the drive belt check is super easy, just do that and then if the noise went away then no worries about sludge.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is I only get the noise sporadically, and I only catch it as I'm driving, which is usually to work or school in a hurry. I will try to do it on a weekend, but theres no guarantees I'll hear it lol.

I might pull the valve cover and see what happens down there, which might help me decide whether to drop the pan. Pulling the valve cover seems like the easiest thing at this point.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Does a sludging engine result in bad compression? For the hell of it maybe perform a compression test, no idea if the two correlate however.

As for dropping the pan, DIY, much cheaper. If you are not mechanically inclined I'm sure you can find a friend to help you out for a case of beer or something, hell if I didn't have school you could drive up here and I could help you out.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Compression test wont tell you about sludging until its way to late.

·
Registered
109 Posts
On the first day it did it she was cold at school, after driving it out it went away. then it happened later that night, again cold. then the next day after a few miles it started again 5 miles down the road she had her bog down then died. I have the valve cover off and its fine. I also wouldn't pay someone to drop the pan. its pretty easy to drop.
The sound came down by the alt. but it did sound more like a powersteering pump whine. but lil more faint

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does a sludging engine result in bad compression? For the hell of it maybe perform a compression test, no idea if the two correlate however.

As for dropping the pan, DIY, much cheaper. If you are not mechanically inclined I'm sure you can find a friend to help you out for a case of beer or something, hell if I didn't have school you could drive up here and I could help you out.
Would you do it on a day off for TWO cases of beer? ;)

I'm not terribly mechanically retarded, just my dad wont let me play with oil in my driveway/ by the house. Won't even let me change my own oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts