Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on Wossneronline.com there are two options ( maybe...) for the 2.3l motor

Can either the 9000 or the 9-5 pistons be used?

Just wondering, someone let me know if I am in the wrong ball park here.

I ask because the 9k pistons have a lower compression ratio than the b235s, and thought this maybe better suited for a high boost application, though they are heavier.

·
Registered
465 Posts
i am pretty sure to run 9k pistons the whole rotating assmbly must be from a 9k. differnt throw, wrist pin location, and connecting rods. if all is changed over then i know it will work.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
There are several threads on here about swapping 9000 pistons etc into a b235--mostly in 9-5s. I believe it has been determined that the crankshaft is the same between 234-5, but you would need the pistons, rods and rings from the 9000, in addition to the 9000 head gasket (to give the extra clearance so the piston doesn't hit the valves. Last I knew, the jury is still out on whether it's actually better or worse for performance, there have been a few issues with things not quite seeming the same after the swap. This is probably because the 9000 pistons are heavier, so they are not as happy to rev as the 235 is down low. That said, the 9000 pistons should be more capable of handling higher hp.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i am 98% sure the feeling of difference is due to the compression ratio change since the head/piston dome combo makes for an odd difference and could be effecting flame travel etc.

i highly doubt you would notice a few grams of weight difference, but i have not felt the feelings first hand.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I noticed on Wossneronline.com there are two options ( maybe...) for the 2.3l motor

Can either the 9000 or the 9-5 pistons be used?

Just wondering, someone let me know if I am in the wrong ball park here.

I ask because the 9k pistons have a lower compression ratio than the b235s, and thought this maybe better suited for a high boost application, though they are heavier.
FYI, I sell the woesnner pistons... That is what is in my Viggen and drag race car...

John

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The 235 pistons are 370 grams, while the 234 pistons are 426 grams, from memory.

JZW, can you PM your price on the 235 pistons?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
To keep it short
Crank is the same in b234 and b235
rod lenght 146mm (b234) vs 153mm
Compress height (pin to piston top) differs alot. B235 piston thus the 7mm longer rod at TDC is located ~.2mm benith block deck while B234 exceeds it by ~.4mm.
Piston bowl differes also
Cylinder gasket on the other hand is ~.6mm thick in B235 compressed vs. ~1.2mm B234
B235 intake valves have pockets B234 are flat.
The features rule the comp ratio, but as seen one cant mix B234 pistons with B235 rod since the piston will collide with the head.
If you wish to lower the comp you can use the B234 gasket or by removing material from piston head.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FYI, I sell the woesnner pistons... That is what is in my Viggen and drag race car...

John
2001 Viggen 235r Just assembeling a new set of Worsner pistons/ring sets and noticed a varriance. The OEM connecting rods are tapered at the top pyrimid shape. The OEM pistons are cut to match that taper. Worsner are cut vertically without that taper leaving a 1/4 ijn gap from side to side. Pins ars a good fit and I understand that lateral play is controlled from the crank bearings.
Is this Delta a probllem?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts