Saab Link Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
You may want to check out the new MP Performance/Powerchip ECU (Stage 1)
Powerchip remapped my ECU (Gold 91) and it provided some great performance increases in all RPM ranges.

JB - '02 9-3 SE with the whole shabang!

·
Registered
461 Posts
I am in the same situation as you are. I want to upgrade my ECU, but don't want to void my warranty. The powerchip costs $700. A maptun performance ECU cost about $850 I think. I looked into the powerchip, but then decided that I did want to go further with the performance modifications so it would be a waste of money. When is your next inspection? Mine isn't for another 20000 miles and my mechanic is independant (meaning he doesn't work at the dealership). He said he would be happy to swap them in and out if I needed to, but I would have to pay for the labor. This way your warranty stays clean.

If you are interested in going beyond stg 1, have a independant mechanic, or your own techII to reset the ECU I would say save up a bit more and get a ECU.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I don't recommend any stage 1 upgrades to a 9-5 Aero or Viggen with the stock downpipe. Also do not believe the claims that it is not safe to run an upgraded downpipe with stage 1 software. They tell you this to get you to buy the stage 3 software. Get a stainless downpipe from www.JakStollPerformance.com. He makes the bend off the turbo nice and gradual instead of the sharp angle most others make thiers with and his workmanship is top notch.

·
Registered
461 Posts
TO bad the downpipe totally voids the warranty...something that costs a bit of money when you buy the car. I am not about to forget I paid $3000 for my warranty for a $400 DP and cat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
today I just got my SAAB performance exhaust by remus and put it on and was dissapointed as it wasn't very loud outside and the same sound resounated inside. Poor design to say the least. On the down pipe I was considering cutting the first cat out myself and installing a piece of pipe then tig welding it back together with the gutted cat on the outside so no one will know then installing a race cat and welding the saab cover over it. I want to cut the remus muffler apart and play with it some but wont till I get the down pipe done. It's easy for me as I do alot of welding being a union Pipefitter. . Only thing is I don't have a mandrel bender but the remus exhaust is only 2 1/2" also. Maybe I can just send it back through my local SAAB dealer but I doubt it. And get the 3" system I found somwhere through you guys. that down pipe will make a big difference on the sound the muffler puts out.
My rear spoiler came in to and It's at the painter today. Got new rotors being cross drilled at the local machine shop for 30 bucks each. Worth it as all those holes is to much for me not to mention I don't have enough drill bits...he he
after he's done they go to the nickel plater. Nickel lasts alot longer...Already have the ceramic pads....Big difference in brake dust,. those saab pads are rediculous. Came with a lifetime warranty to . Never have to buy pads again.
Cost was about 97 bucks front and rear. people who think ceramic is going to reduce brake fade are wrong. the fade is when the pad heats up against the rotor and creates a gas cushion between the two. You have to relieve that gas ie..drilling/slotting.
What size flange comes off the downpipe from the turbo??? Inside diameter??? I seen nordics video today and wasn't to impressed by it. Looked like only a boost increase. Man that sucker hit deep deep in the red. If thats all the mapping is going to do I dont need to spend a thousand for that. I want to see air fuel ratios being changed through the upgrade and not from the over boost. Engstrom says the 3.8 bar fuel pressure regulator throws off the spray pattern of the stock injector but I personally havent seen the pattern and will have to see it myself. theres a company near me that rebuilds injectors and I will take one to him and have him hit it with 60 psi and see what the pattern looks like and let you guys know.
If it werent for my warranty I'd have the engine apart right now and installing the forged pistons and cams form a t5 9000.
A buddy of mine says the naturally aspirated intake from some other kind of SAAB which I forgot will fit our 2.3 engines and is larger. Back in the earliy 90's and late 80's i was a SAAB tech for a few years and we did all kinds of weird stuff. For one the 87 naturally aspirrated engines had the highest compression ratio. What I forgot but I put them in a my 86 turbo No problems and it halled ass. Ripped out 3 manual transmissions though over 250000 thousand miles. can't really complain on that one. this time i am going for the gusto thanks to all you guys...Damn warrantys though and I need it as i just went back to saab with this aero I spent 18700 for with the certified warranty included till 100,000 miles. Laser RED.....pretty but small looking. Maybe I'll get more looks with the spoiler. and smoke hood deflector I also put on today. I glued a SAAB griffin emblem to it to as it covered mine on the hood.. looks cool.
my philosophy is if sombody else has experimented and has good results that can be substantiated then copy cat him.......It's cheaper for us........

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sounds good man. The only part that makes me flinch is you got lifetime warranty brake pads. Reason for that is your rotor are going to be taking a much larger beating and stress of the heat and pressure from braking because the brake pads don't wear down.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts