Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've uprated my suspensions, added some aesthetic accesories and now I think it's finally time to kick up my CPU. But, my questions is which company should I go through? BSR seems to be the cheapest but they're over seas. By the time I have them ship will it be as expensive as Nordic or MapTune? Also if I do go with BSR, how easy is it to replace the ECU, is the PPC option really worth all that money? Oh, by the way, all this is for my '03 9-5 2.3t. Thanks.

·
Registered
352 Posts
i've heard maptun is pretty safe....you can keep your stock ecu so if you need to bring it back to the dealer they won't say anything about you not having the stock program.....i have also heard that the ppc may possibly burn out your stock ecu since it's a plug in program....i.e. the program will not finish loading and you'll have a perfectly good non-running car

are you looking just to uprate the ecu or are you planning on doing hardware modifications as well, intake, exhaust, bigger turbo...things like that

it's strange how the companies will do their stages though.....a maptun stage one which is just an ecu uprate adds something like 30hp and so much tq

a nordic or bsr ecu uprate of that equivalent is like a stage 3 which demands an intake and exhaust

as mentioned before, are you doing hardware mods as well?
lemme know and we can try to figure out what's the best option for you

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
I have heard good and bad things about all the tuners, except Nordic. Mostly because Nordic was not easily available in the USA until now-- Nick at GenuineSaab is going to be carrying them. :D

I have heard BSR runs dangerously lean in some cases and also that the PPC can freeze up and has destroyed the ECU, meaning you can't reload stock software, it is just plain fried. I also have heard reports of bad knocking/detonation, and keep in mind they program many other types of cars besides Saab. But I have heard people praise BSR as well, and plenty of folks claim they like it better than the others.

I have heard of a few folks with custom SQR programs, and they love the flexibility of custom tuning. But there was at least 1 complaint that it took several tries to get the programming right. but maybe they did it via mail and not on site with a dyno....But again, you will find mostly very happy customers from this company. every now and then Frank from SQR will come here and program your ECU while your car is on a dyno, which is the most ideal way to tune a car. :!: one of the guys here, ERP, has a crazy fast 900 with custom SQR programming and I think he or anyone who has riden in his car could tell you, tSQR does VERY GOOD work. :wink:

I have heard lots of good stuff about Maptun, I chose them myself. But I and a few other people had troubles getting the right software on the first try... I had to send mine back for reprogramming, but they fixed it quickly. Maptun seems to run much safer A/F ratios from what I have read on here on other sites, and the power is AWESOME. They also offer custom programming but they do not come to the USA to do it on a dyno. their programming builds the power very smoothly, to the point that sometimes you don't think it is working and then you look down at the speedo and almost crap your pants because you are going wayyy tooo fast. :wink:

so to sum it up, all the tuners have strenghts and weaknesses, areas of expertise, and they all have had bumps along the way. as long as you stick with one of the big 4 mentioned, you will probably be fine. stay away from cheap chips from companies who program every single type of car, you won't get much performance and it will often be done by "tricking" sensors rather than real safe tuning. :wink:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dude,

If Maptun;
ever figures out some of those delay and pricing issues....I'd say go with them, I really believe its one of the best for huge torque and HP curves. I had a stage 3, with unbelievable power... As Group 9 is the stateside vendor, they are a pretty good company to deal with.

On the East Coast; Grp 9 / James is one of the most patient guys to deal with.
I'm hopeful he'll resolve some of the issues on some level getting future upgrades, because I'd really like to feel what that stage 5 feels like. I remember how when I first put my stage 3 in...and took a test drive......wasn't expecting the car to respond like she did..

Had to stop to catch my breath cause I wasn't expecting to see the SAAB boost needle get pegged over to the right...been trying to find ways to drive the car everwhere after that....to the store., across the street.., to the girlfriends house more often ...only to hear more bitching..., to the bathroom...couldn't get enough of driving her..., make you want to make love to ca.... ahh nevermind.. and oh yea.., what a rush.

The only thing I noticed was that you have to turn off the AC to get the highest kick, because there seems to be a power issue relative to running the ECU with the AC on. Apparently a normal condition according to Johnny of Maptun.

SQR;
I've heard that they were able to get 7k rpm out of it....about 300 more rpm for more top end. Might be something worth looking into. I believe Engstrom is the distributor, could be wrong. ERP changed to SQR I thought his site read something about their broad power band tuning.

I believe these are the two top contendors...for the money. Study the torque and HP curves they have on their sites...that's how I made my choice.

good luck..

regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'm probably going to get a stage 2, or something comprable to the chip, cat back and air filter. Cash might be an issue at the moment but this has definately been helpful.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Nordic should not be overlooked especially for T-7 tuning. www.genuinesaab.com ships out quickly and it's nice to have a supplier here stateside. PPC is very convenient but there have been some issues with BSR software. I would recommend Maptun through Group 9 or Nordic through genuinesaab over SQR simply because of the lack of stateside support for SQR.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That Nordic price looks pretty good, but the torque looks a little low on the T5 stage 3 compared to the Maptun..but the HP is a little higher. Thats really a nice price though. Anyone have the curves on the Nordic ECU?

I thought ERP would be all over this one... ERP any ideas? Didn't ERP used to have a Maptune before switching to SQR..Whatever happened to that Maptun?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is the Maptun curve for the 2.3t MY 2003 T-7

Maptun....

Nordic....I can't find a graph but it's rated at 250hp and 370nm and includes a 3.5 bar FPR.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I got a maptun and it does not work... after 2 months of waiting his is sorta making me mad..... but thats all i have to say.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
check the "stage 2 ECU" forums under 9-3 performance mods... ill make a post about it there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As Mike mentioned, there is a guy named Jak in NC that is now working very closely with SQR. Jak might not have a fancy website or some big company but just based on word of mouth and his participation on the other forum, if you are looking for someone reliable and extremely helpful that is a Saab performance nut himself, this guy is the way to go. Engstrom seems to be too busy doing other things to manage his site and orders. I inquired maybe 5 months ago about SQR software and some hardware as well and never got a reply.

·
Registered
745 Posts
do you have a link to his website....

haven't gotten much of a response from engstrom either...
guess they've loss interest.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
wow...I had the same issues with Engstrom. Three unreturned emails over 4 months was starting to be a bit much. I was starting to get disappointed that I wouldn't be able to have Frank tune my ECU and would have to go elsewhere. (This was before Nick T started handling Nordic in the US.)

I found out Jak was handling SQR orders on a Monday, emailed him that day, PayPal'ed him on Wednesday, and my core was shipped to Sweden on Friday. Jak is definitely the man.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can call the people at Engstrom. (630) 854-3721 I talked to him in depth the other day, but just got more confused on what to get. After reading here I think I will just get a new upgraded ECM to swap out as needed ie...warranty.... :) I am just not ready to spend the money on a down pipe....It's rediculous. I want the stage 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
750 at Engstrom. And thats the discount. where can I get the 400 dollar one? I liked Engstroms site because I am only 40 miles from him. But I don't want to burn my ECM or pay alot more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts