Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pulling the 93 900T into my driveway here the other day when I try to put it in reverse to get the key out. Can't get the shifter over to the right enough for fifth or reverse to engage and 1st is impossible to find. I can grab some gear but I don't know which. The shifter has a great degree of freedom in its movement and the gates are no longer there, which they were on the drive home. Front motor mount was a little soft prior but the tranny shifted smooth with no noise or grinding even at 175k. I have a couple of pucks laying around for that.
Where should I start looking?
Shifter assembly?
Linkage?
In the box?

Plans for this car include an engine pull and rear seals, pulley and cam chain/tensioner. If I gotta get that damn taper pin out I might as well pull the engine anyway.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I'd look at the PS motor mount and the dogbone linkage connector. I had this issue once. The ends of the dogbone hit on the steering rack when the linkage rolls either right or left and it won't roll enough to get into 1st, 5th or reverse.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dogbone linkage connector was severed.
I took a hockeypuck and whittled it down to size, drilled two holes and threaded two m6 40 mm bolts through the whole assembly. Tighten the locknuts and adjust shifter if necessary. Shifter feel is very direct with no vibration or movement, I'd say better than stock even though you'd think the through bolts would be transmitting some engine movement. I'm saving the stock dogbone metal plates as I've got ideas for a self cast polyurethane dogbone. Total cost $6.60 for two bolts and a puck, unfortunately I don't live in a big hockey town so the only puck I found was a NHL official game puck with some team I couldn't give two shits about.

Edit: Pics.
The metal endplate of the dogbone fit perfectly inside the circumference of the puck. Just turn the bolt side towards the puck, tap it with a hammer and bam there's your drill holes. No need to measure. I inserted both end plates into either side of the puck for guides as I was whittlin' the rubber down to size.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
We usually just wrap 4-6 zip ties around it to hold the halves together rather than trying to take the whole thing apart to save the owner some cash - the rubber doesn't go bad, the plates just tear off of it and it comes apart.

The 9000's do the same thing (same part).

Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts