Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local tire shop today to give my buddy a ride. While waiting for him to get done I asked what kind of wheels they have available locally for my car.

One is a 16x7, multi thin spoke (7 or 9, should take a picture), in black with a red trim ring on the outside edge. They kinda look like this wheel here, but with thinner spokes. I can't remember the brand (yes I should have taken a picture of it!). They are $133 a piece, new.

The other wheel are 17" five spoke Viggen wheels, used, for $89 a piece. Condition on these are unknown as they are down in Anchorage, but I would try to find more if I went their way.

I am considering the Viggen wheels, and if I go that route I am thinking of painting them black. What do you guys think??

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ugh, more with the black rims? You got a sweet red two door. Stay with the stock alloy silver. I would go 17inch at least, 16 is small and doesn't fill out the wheel wells. I also feel that black rims fail to fill out the wheel wells unless the car is lowered, and the rims are 18 inch.

So, go 17 inch, or 18 inch. Silver.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I always loved black rims. Thanks on the tip on the bendy wheels. I agree with 17s filling the wheel wells good, it's just that wheels are hard to find for this car!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I too like darker wheels. Silver makes me want to keep them silver and I find it tedious. I would rather drive.

BUT the Viggen wheels are bendy.

If your driving style is more on the side of aggressive and the roads in your area are rough, 16's or strong 17's would be a good choice.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
The other wheel are 17" five spoke Viggen wheels, used, for $89 a piece. Condition on these are unknown as they are down in Anchorage, but I would try to find more if I went their way.
Firstly - that 9000;

^^ AWESOME^^

Secondly - clearly those are NOT Viggen wheels since they are 4 lug and on a 9000 :0

My vote would be for Viggen CLONE wheels which are stronger then OEM - and NO to dark colored wheels.

$89 each for straight clean/decent Vig wheels is not a bad deal - but mind you - they do bend easy, but in turn they can be repaired. I think having a set of the factory spokes is nice to have for winters :)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The above AR1s in gunmetal:

See I feel that does not go with the viggen. It makes the wheels look rather small, and looks out of place to me. In silver they would look good.

And yes viggen rims bend. I got a set of aftermarket viggen rims from Mike, and they are bent bad. But I still drive em on the NA :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The rial Nogoro's are what I wanted in 18in for my viggen but tirerack doesn't carry them any more. I like the rial's design more then the ASA's but it looks like the ASA's are more then likely what I will do.

Like aikmanson.... 18's & silver for my viggen

Viggen rims are soft, just have to be careful what you drive over. I used a set for 6yrs w/o issues

·
Registered
587 Posts
See I feel that does not go with the viggen. It makes the wheels look rather small, and looks out of place to me. In silver they would look good.
They were silver when I got them. They looked cheap. Gunmetal and LB look great together. They almost match the trim too, so there is that going for them.

Everyone who has seen them in person before and after likes them much better now. I personally think it makes the car more aggressive looking

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
These are TSW Hock R's that I used to have. I bent one and it was more expensive to replace that one rim then it was when I bought the whole set. I dig this design of wheel AS LONG AS IT HAS A LIP! The flat versions don't cut it for me. There is just something wrong not having a lip, doesn't matter the maker.

Since those, I have had the Klingons and now the EVO II's. (Both Saab wheels)

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
These are TSW Hock R's that I used to have. I bent one and it was more expensive to replace that one rim then it was when I bought the whole set. I dig this design of wheel AS LONG AS IT HAS A LIP! The flat versions don't cut it for me. There is just something wrong not having a lip, doesn't matter the maker.

Since those, I have had the Klingons and now the EVO II's. (Both Saab wheels)
Man, those wheels are sexy, would look great on my SAAB too, a three door version of yours.

Yeah, that 9000 has four holes, not really a Viggen wheel, but it popped up on Google image search... oops.

I like a few of the wheels available at Tire Rack too, like this:

And this:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just picked up some Ronal LV 16" rims for my 9-3 vert (only $40!). I have yet to get tires for them (looking at getting 225/50R16 Conti ExtremeContact DWS). I'll post pictures later (once I pull the trigger on new tires).

Personally I would try and find a set of Gary Fisher wheels (from a 9-5) before I would get viggen wheels.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts