Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found a potential but Autocheck has reported a theft for that car. It was stolen and found 9 months later (??). Assuming it is true and it's not a major f*ckup of the Autocheck database, what would you check on that vehicle?

I know for sure I'd have a mechanic checking it, but anything else rather than that?

Thanks, Derek.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Specifics on the car? What make/model, year? How long ago was it stolen and found? Was it registered and driven after being found? Was an insurance claim made by the person it was stolen from? If so, who ended up with it afterward--police impound/auction?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
So I found a potential but Autocheck has reported a theft for that car. It was stolen and found 9 months later (??). Assuming it is true and it's not a major f*ckup of the Autocheck database, what would you check on that vehicle?

I know for sure I'd have a mechanic checking it, but anything else rather than that?

Thanks, Derek.
Well, Derek, as the proud owner of Little Red:

I can tell you that the first thing you'll want to check for is crazy odors. Before I owned her, she had been stolen and used by a homeless guy as his daily driver. Where was he going each day? Who knows?

Otherwise, and more seriously, you'll want to make sure that, if stripped parts had to be replaced, they were done with appropriate replacements. Whoever pieced my car back together got it partially right here and there. It's likely her driver's side window was the one broken to gain access since they reversed the polarity of the window switch when the door went back together.

A stolen car may have plenty of those little quirks done in the name of getting it back on the road.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
The title?
Maybe yes, maybe no. Little Red's title is clear. Although, I'd have to check with GA on how exactly she came to rest after being recovered. I'm not sure if she went back to the owner from whom she was stolen or if she was sold off by the recovering insurance company. I know she was gone some months, though. Maybe eight?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just called the guy and he was very clear that he "had no idea why is it reported stolen"... In the autocheck is clearly reported as stolen though. I also asked him if he can reach the previous owner to check what the record was about and he said again he had no idea why is it reported stolen. Lol, gotta love these guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I'm going to guess from the attachment it's a screw up. Seems funny he would license the car the same day it get's stolen. Don't get too wigged out about Car-fax and Auto check. they arn't always right or accurate. I know of 2 cars in my area that you can check and everything comes back ok and they were both welded togather to make one car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder if owner tried to report it stolen when the repo men came????
That was my thought too. That's why I asked the dealer if he can contact the previous owner. Ofc that's not possible :(

·
Registered
861 Posts
i still havent heard a single word about my stolen c900.

im sure its tucked in some garage somewhere, with its balls removed, and pussy magnet stolen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts