·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
im in a predicament....
do i go with a gt3076r
or a gt2871r or 2876

what to do, what to do?

the new engine has forged pistons, uprated valve springs, and balance shaft delete so i know it can handle any of that with ease

i want something intense... while keeping the t25 flange

i deff want a step up from the stage 4 im at now

help please

EDIT:i just remembered how i already bought the Garrett 5 bolt vband so i guess i wanna keep in that family of internal wastegated turbos

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If it's a 2.0 motor I would go with a 3071 or possibly smaller depending on what you want to do. I would look at some of the dyno sheet's from JZW if that's who is going to tune it so you can get a idea of what the lag will be & the power outputs with the different turbo's

If a 2.3t then you could go bigger, 3071 or 3076. Don't tuners get 450-500 whp out of a 3071r??? Goes back to depending on what you want to do with the car & how much you need.....

If I had the funds for a new turbo/engine in my viggen I would probably do a 3071r

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eh, get the 2871.

Any more power in a 9-3 is kinda pointless.
i know what you mean about pointless... when you cant put down the power easily, but at the same time its a wow factor

If it's a 2.0 motor I would go with a 3071 or possibly smaller depending on what you want to do. I would look at some of the dyno sheet's from JZW if that's who is going to tune it so you can get a idea of what the lag will be & the power outputs with the different turbo's

If a 2.3t then you could go bigger, 3071 or 3076. Don't tuners get 450-500 whp out of a 3071r??? Goes back to depending on what you want to do with the car & how much you need.....

If I had the funds for a new turbo/engine in my viggen I would probably do a 3071r
it is a 2.0 but im looking to get some good numbers out of it... i mean is a gt3076r slower spooling than a hx35?
im trying to go big without changing the flange

Invest that money in an aggressive mutual fund.
uh i could... or i could invest it in my car and get a smile from it everyday lol

A hybrid setup will always serve to eliminate lag times and increase overall boost potential, ergo, HP so, whichever you finally choose, have it setup/configured accordingly.
well thats what ive left for to discuss with my tuner

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If time is spent on the tune, preferably in person, the boost can be kept down and you could totally make a ton of power without making it unstreetable. Since you've got the valve springs you've got the option to rev higher. To make just 400hp at 7000rpm requires you to only have 300lb.ft. of torque at that point which could be pulled off with a GT30 even on stock T5 cams. Hold the boost down and ramp it up as rpm increase and you're there.

2.0 will make just as much horsepower as a 2.3 if not more just because of the fact that you can rev it higher, more safely. Requires 15% more boost to make same results as with 2.3 but if you're built and everything is healthy then there should be no issue with that. Ergo hp.

After I finally got around to playing with some timing and fueling for spool, I'm seeing 28psi by 4100 in third gear and I know I could push it some more if I had the time I could do better. Vigge managed better spool with his Super 40 than his 3076.

Don't let driveability stop you. Have your tuner gradually bring on the boost and make more horsepower. It's totally streetable and it's an awesome feeling as you approach 7k rpm and your car is giving you the sensation that it's pulling harder and harder. Handle it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
uh i could... or i could invest it in my car and get a smile from it everyday lol
Personally, I would never spend that kind of money on a turbo for a fwd Saab unless I had enough money that I didn't know what to do with it all lol. If I had $1k laying around, I'd rather see it appreciate than depreciate and that will put a smile on my face everyday, too. Especially if it gets me behind the wheel of a better car :cool: ... even if I have to wait a while.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
a holset will leave you with enouph money left over to make all your flanges work.

a big t28 could also be a doable option, and they make reasonable power, that is also incredably drivable, and a bolt in.

400+hp saabs loose there apeal really quick. Yes they can do it, but reliability suffers alot, and other non motor parts just dont like it.

300whp saabs are great fun, and don't torture there owners nearly as much.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Also, this is just a pet peeve of mine since my minor is in finance, but I noticed you said "invest" in regards to your car. This goes out to everyone and not just you. A car is not an investment unless it's a legitimate antique. Real estate (despite the crisis/bubble of 2008-2009), stocks, bonds, etc...those are investments. This supplements why I said earlier that I wouldn't spend a grand for a turbo on a DD fwd saab (or any fwd for that matter). Finance-wise, it's not considered an "investment" to put $1k into something that depreciates as rapidly as a car...that's more along the lines of bankruptcy.

Again, this is my ideology and not my car. If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I would go for it too. Do what you want and all the power to you b/c it will be cool in the end. This was just my rant on calling things "investments" and nothing more than that.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yes you're right that's why I said in my last post that it's his car and not mine. I personally would be happier spending $1000+ now in mutual funds knowing that it will grow rather than spending $1000+ and knowing it will depreciate.
/opinion

Are you going to go with a top mount manifold from GS? If yes, did you consider doing a Holset with a reindeer manifold? They handle high egt's and if you can utilize the variable vane somehow, that would be sweet.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes you're right that's why I said in my last post that it's his car and not mine. I personally would be happier spending $1000+ now in mutual funds knowing that it will grow rather than spending $1000+ and knowing it will depreciate.
/opinion
Stop being a poon. you sound like an old person that wants to be buried with all of their money instead of spending it on things that they enjoy.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Eh, get the 2871.

Any more power in a 9-3 is kinda pointless.
Remember Nick's testing, the gt3071wg spooled up faster and made more power than the gt2871, would not ever recommend that turbo because its smaller and spools up slower than the gt3071wg, poor wheel combination in my opinion...

John

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Stop being a poon. you sound like an old person that wants to be buried with all of their money instead of spending it on things that they enjoy.
Lol...like an old person. You're right though lol...I sound like my parents lecturing me 6 years ago.

I will spend my money on things I enjoy and I have plenty of things I want to enjoy haha. For example, a future dedicated track car. A yacht with a ballroom would be nice too lol (that's wishful thinking for sure lol). Do I see myself being buried with my money...not a chance in hell. There's no point in that.

Like I said before, I like what he's doing with his car, I was just stating my opinion. I probably went a little overboard but it was all just my opinion. I guess with graduation coming up, the reality of loans, job searching, and personal goals that I want to achieve by 30, the pressure has been on for me to spend money where it's needed right now so that I can take care of this stuff properly later. I was just trying to shed light so we can all ball out later.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts