Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Within my budget I can afford a set of one of these:

- Falken FK451
- Falken ziex ZE512
- Kumho Ecsta 712
- Avon ZV3
- Toyo Proxes T1-S

The size is 205/50-16.

Which type should I choose?
 

·
HNNLIC
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Im aware of all except Avon, and all are extremely good companies. Things you want to watch for is the speed rating (Im sure all of them are ZR), mileage warranty and how they perform in wet conditions. Those are the most important things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Try a company by the name of FULDA I have them on my car and they are very cheap and reasonable..(80 bucks for the 215/45 size 17inch) since they have a relatively low treadlife rating (180) they are sticky and keep my turbo undercontrOL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
Im aware of all except Avon, and all are extremely good companies. Things you want to watch for is the speed rating (Im sure all of them are ZR), mileage warranty and how they perform in wet conditions. Those are the most important things.
Additionally, look for Traction = AA. Most ZRs are Traction A... best are AA.

UTOQ > 250 otherwise your tread will evaporate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
900seT said:
Within my budget I can afford a set of one of these:

- Falken FK451
- Falken ziex ZE512
- Kumho Ecsta 712
- Avon ZV3
- Toyo Proxes T1-S

The size is 205/50-16.

Which type should I choose?
I have Kuhmo Ecsta's on my A4. They're not even broken in yet, I'll let you know how they feel in a few weeks. ;) They're the first set of "cheap" performance tires I've owned, but I've heard so many good things about them I'm looking forward to it.

I know a few people who have had reliability problems with Falkens, but that may not be representative of their overall reputation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,049 Posts
can't go wrong with a Kumho - even if you only get 30,000 miles outta them (they claim 50,000 miles) you'll get your $39 worth outta em. They are somewhat of a softer cmpound tire, but seem to be sticky like. My sister had no problem with em in snow this past winter up in Maine - so I think they should be fine for all weather depending on how you drive I guess. I plan to get 4 for my 9000 and 4 for my SPG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
My sister had no problem with em in snow this past winter up in Maine - so I think they should be fine for all weather depending on how you drive I guess. I plan to get 4 for my 9000 and 4 for my SPG.
If your sister was fine on them in snow, then they're NOT the same model Kumho where talking about here. ;) The Khumo Escta 712 (tire in his list above) is an ultra high performance summer tire, and will have zero traction on even a tiny, thin coating of snow. Hell, they will have bad traction when it's really cold out, even if there isn't any snow.

Kumho does make all season and winter tires as well, perhaps that's what your sister had.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
668 Posts
What the shit... ive never even heard of any of those... get michilin pilot sports or some nice perellis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
584 Posts
Notice the "in my budget range" part of his post. ;)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 225/40/18YR are on sale at the Tire Rack for $208 each. Regular price is more in the $240 range.

Kumho Escta Supra 712's in 225/40/18WR are regularly priced at $96 each.

Technically, the A/S is an all season high performance tire (the Kumho is a summer-only tire), and has a higher speed rating (186 mph instead of 168 mph on the Kumho.) It also has a higher treadlife rating. But, considering that the Kumho is less than half the price, I think it's a viable alternative.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top