Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 900se 2.0 5sp convt.
So tax season I will be puttin money into the car. I have the brakes done looking to do a little suspension but nothing to much maybe just new struts. But its the motor/turbo im gonna do, i have no turbo whine and 176k for miles motor is strong and doesnt leak or use oil.
Now i would like to replace the timing chain and i figure i might as well pull the motor and throw a new clutch in there, and since the motor is out i might as well get the valves checked and throw in a set of rings maybe new pistons. It could use a new exhaust because i had to do a little welding on the walker muffler. But i figure maybe $2,000 to throw into the car. I live in northern mich on the pinky and Traverse city has a bunch of well half ass "techs" and no real performace shop. if YOU where going to dump in 2k your saab what would you do? what would be the best use? i dont think 2k will get out side of it be a reliable DD. and im gonna put a huge ass wing on it with a 6"can.....seriously if i do come find me and take the car away lol. when i start i will have a start and finish pic. which i still need to get on here

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
and im gonna put a huge ass wing on it with a 6"can.....seriously if i do come find me and take the car away lol.
Nice.

Um, if I was doing any kind of engine work, I would do it myself. It is easy for me to say that though, as my dad has been a mechanic since his early teens. As for putting 2k into my car, I would start with reliability things and things that wear with miles. Timing chain is a good idea, as with rings, but one thing you didn't mention was the Head Gasket.

Head Gaskets can go anywhere from 30k (Christian ha), and 250k+. I know my 1995 900 se is at 173k, so about the same as you, and I plan on replacing the head gasket when I take the engine out.

Are you looking to put 2k into making the car a better DD, or making the car better, and at the same time adding performance parts? For 2k I would source a TD04 turbo (more reliable and better boost), run a new exhaust since you said you need one, replace timing chain, rings, HG, pulleys + run a short belt. Get a new tune. With the remaining money you should focus on checking the condition of the suspension, get a 22mm ARB, steering rack clamp + brace, and if money permits, a koni kit or a 3"dp.

2k is a lot of money if you spend it wisely, I wish I had 2k devoted to my car, I mean, I have 1.8k for it, but I wont spend it ha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i was think like something you would find on an F40. and a diesel. 2-3" doesnt count!

I was thinking a better car. so far your idea seems great however where to get a tune? no one around here does that...at all.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I was thinking a better car. so far your idea seems great however where to get a tune? no one around here does that...at all.
Tuning can be done through a number of people on here, as well as more well known companies that will charge more. You can also tune your car yourself via T5 Suite.

There are a number of people who tune our Saabs on here. Do a quick search of the forums, I wont name any names to advertise for anyone, but if you PM me I can give you my two cents.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i messaged you. at least tried. ya i did find on how to work the APC, well to change the resistors. also for an exhaust what would be best? i would like to have some tone but no ricer sound. im use to a sbc350 or more running with a set of flowmaster 40s. i did run a 2 1/4 all the way with it and they sounded nice. only loud on top (rpm 3k and higher) the 2 1/2" was little knarly and the 3" with an 18"x4" tips had some serious bark. but thats also a v8 for ya

1 - 7 of 7 Posts