Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did do a search on 'ticking' and 1 post came up regarding ticking that comes on boost. My ticking can only be heard at idle, coming from the firewall area of the passender side. It is a steady ticking that does not inrease ( I think) with increased RPM, and cant be heard from the engine bay because of all the other normal engine noises. Sounds like something rotating at a constant rate on the right side of engine.
Oh, the airbag light came on also, so I made an appointment for Wed 1/12/05. I'm thinking of doing the 60,000 mile service at the same time, I was quoted $750.00+tax. Is that OK, or does someone know of a Saab specialty shop in the NYC/LI area. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
93vr4 said:
I did do a search on 'ticking' and 1 post came up regarding ticking that comes on boost. My ticking can only be heard at idle, coming from the firewall area of the passenger side. It is a steady ticking that does not increase ( I think) with increased RPM, and cant be heard from the engine bay because of all the other normal engine noises. Sounds like something rotating at a constant rate on the right side of engine.
Oh, the airbag light came on also, so I made an appointment for Wed 1/12/05. I'm thinking of doing the 60,000 mile service at the same time, I was quoted $750.00+tax. Is that OK, or does someone know of a Saab specialty shop in the NYC/LI area. Thanks.
For that kind of money (two weeks wages for me at one time) I would request a full detailed explanation of what is done !
Tow Losell(Lowsel?) in Huntington, Suffolk county,LI,NY, was in business 35 years ago in the same area as Coldspring Saab.
I thought we overcharged at one-tenth of that back in the late 60s and there was more to do !
Saab is trying to pit the 9-3 against the BMW 3 series and the smaller Mercedes and are probably copying their prices..
If you see a used Saab for sale, ask the owner who does his work - you may just luck out..
That "something ticking" may be from the timing chain(right side - passenger side of the engine).
These air bags can be costly , but this may well be covered by warranty.
I would disconnect the battery negative ( after securing the radio code!) for 20 seconds and see what happens..

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
i get a little bit of ticking on my right side too....but it was happening to my '96 as well so i just wrote it off as a saab flaw...i think it might be one of the pullys... but i dont know.... for my 30k i paid about $630 and a local saab guy quoted like $10 less and saab was guna give me a loaner for the day so i went with saab..... let me know what they say the ticking is will ya?

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
There are other reasons for ticking at idle on a SAAB. There is a small rubber timing chain guide in the valve cover that hardens after time that will give you a very nice low key rythmic ticking noise from the motor (only heard at idle). Plus from everything that I have read it seems to be that all saabs have a slightly louder tickier engine than most cars do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies and info. I did get my airbag light taken care of at the dealer, all they did was to check the connections underneath the drivers seat. They unplugged the connections, cleaned them, reconnected them, and gladly charged me $98.00 for 1 hour labor. I think this was caused by the guy working at the carwash, when he was vacuming underneath the seat (is this possible?), he might have jammed at the connections.

I did ask them to check on the ticking noise at idle (and as I expected) said they could not hear/find anything abnormal. Perhaps it is the nature of the beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts