Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
without regard to the car? There is no head, no wiring. I was thinking of cutting the axles (no good anyway).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sawzall worked wonders at the yard for me. The blade barely scratched the axles though. To pull mine the first time, it took about 5 hours. The yard trip was probably 2 hrs. I ended up pulling it back out of my car after I had put it in cause I'm an idiot but that time it only took about 3-3.5 hrs with me taking care not to screw anything up and being by myself with a harbour freight load bar.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Pulling the axles on a 9k are A LOT easier than a 900. Just pull the 3 bolts out of the lower ball joints and they come right out!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
why not just drop the whole subframe? unbolt the suspension from the towers and drop it out the bottom much quicker than anything else

·
Registered
645 Posts
only thing thats gonna cut the axles to save time is a torch.. and dropping the entire subframe is a P.I.T.A...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
only thing thats gonna cut the axles to save time is a torch.. and dropping the entire subframe is a P.I.T.A...
Sawzall rips through them with ease.
If you are in for record time Ray, take out the battery tray, take the bolt out of the front, rear, and tranny mounts, sawsall the shift linkage, sawsall the exhaust, sawsall the CV shafts and start pulling. As you pull, just snip everything that holds you up from there, like fuel lines, oil cooler lines, radiator hoses, battery cables.

Sounds like a fun project. :cool:

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Work with gravity, not against it. Remove the 2 bolts that hold that knuckle to the strut, remove band clamp from the inner cv boot. You can leave the outer joint in the spindle, when those spindles flop down (that's the gravity part) you've got plenty of clearance. Pull the battery tray and yank the whole thing out the top

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Work with gravity, not against it. Remove the 2 bolts that hold that knuckle to the strut, remove band clamp from the inner cv boot. You can leave the outer joint in the spindle, when those spindles flop down (that's the gravity part) you've got plenty of clearance. Pull the battery tray and yank the whole thing out the top
I'm with this guy. I've always had the easiest time removing the battery tray and going out the top. I wouldn't bother cutting the axles either, do as serkis said, which should take less time than cutting the axles.

The issue with dropping engine and trans out with the the whole subframe is that you still have to unbolt the engine mounts and lift the trans off the subframe. Essentially, if you don't need the subframe you're just making more work for yourself.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
+4 out the top. Had a Prelude I parted out, was given to me. I did the same with it, and yanked the axles first. Then just started unhooking or cutting anything I didn't have a buyer for that stood in my way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where do you think the term "Shade Tree Mechanic" came from?

All you needed were a strong Maple limb, a chain, pulley and the muscle of a friend.

Any time you are going to saw cut get a good quality blade. B&D suck, go to a commercial hardware and ask. I can't tell you what brand was good because I bought a dozen. This was back doing MGB's and 914's and I finally broke the last one two years ago.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In regards to the rolling chassis, make sure that you re-install the axles. I made the mistake of not doing so and in towing with all 4 on the ground and my wheel came off while the car was moving! Not a pretty sight!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts