Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a nice manual roof from an 87 coupe at Crazy Rays for $40, rust free.

thesaabsite.com says the rubber gasket is the same for all years, but 86 and newers use a plastic ramp stop gizmo 9293010 is the pn.

Ima definately get the sheet metal painted. But can anybody think of a reason that it isn't a direct bolt on in the 79? It's dark and raining since it took an hour and a half to go the 18 or so miles to get back to Fairfax, So I'm thinking sat dropping the headliner in the 79 and taking a look.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
is the 86 and newer reference for a power sunroof vs. manual sunroof?
I believe it was an option at the time - manual I think was still abvailable on some models and for a few years after. Could have been just a newer redesigned s-roof assembly.

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I was reading the Blue book, volume 8. Seems some small changes were made, but nothing that looks like it would be too complicated. Basically Studs vs Nuts.

So I got the thing completely apart, and plan on removing the headliner in the 79 today or tomorow.

The new white roof, did have a little but of crackling rust around where the weatherstrip goes, hopefully the paint shop can grind it really well and add some of that body paste goop.

My next problems are:
The white front section, that has the 4 screws, and the headliner sewn into it is basically a brittle piece of trash. I went to the dealer and this is NLA. I may just repair it with a thin strip of brass epoxied to the backside or front. And then restitch on the headliner material. Any ideas?

2nd
There are 2 small brass springs, less than an inch long. They seem to be rub guids for the bottom of the white plastic bits that run along the rail. The roof I took apart only seemed to have 2. But there are 4 plastic runners. Should I have 4? or are there only 2 that go on what runners?

I will get some pics up later.

I think the blue book said the power ones came on the scene in 83.

·
10,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the icky headliner I removed from the 79.

This is the front of the 79's sunroof, seems the same only the color is diff. I doubt I will have any problem fitting the one I pulled from the 87.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.