Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Can't nail that one down myself.

I picked up a pair of them (without titles though) for free - one was complete, nice paint, driveable, ran halfway decent, and nice interior. One was a barn car, filthy, bad paint, interior ruined, but mechanically all there and solid shell.

There's a crazy guy out in the desert by LA selling one in worse shape than the parts car I got free who wants like $1000.

Decent running driving ones prolly anywhere from $2k-$5k depending on corrosion (floor pans and trunk pans only) and cosmetics, whether it's got upgraded carb that smooths out cold weather running, stuff like that.

Those guys on eBay that think they can get $7k-$10k for cars that have 80k+ miles and are just running driving cars are insane in my opinion. No one is buying cars right now, let alone collectible sports cars, I think there are a lot listed right now because the owner things that they can get prices that the few that were for sale 5+ years ago commanded, since everyone needs the cash.

My $0.02.

Drew

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are a few Sonetts that have shown up for sale on Bringatrailer.com, check these out in their various stages to give you an idea. Also look through eBay closed auctions and a Craigslist search engine. Those would be my go-to places for pricing an older car like that. Kelly Blue Book has a feature for pricing classic cars too, give that a try.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I sold a what I would consider an above average but not perfect on last year. It had no rot but the paint was a 10 footer interior was good and drive train was good. I put 1000 miles on it driving to the SOC in Detroit. I got $5,500 for it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yeah, and the absolutely beautiful one that was almost a full resto that went to live auction at SOC last year in Colorado didn't even get it's first bid, which I think was $6,500, and that convention was a lot of grey hairs that will never let go of their V4's.

I have seen pics of that red II with the roll-over bar before, really like it.

You're getting into the grey area with these cars.

Keep in mind that:

What is this worth....?

and

What will someone pay me for this?

.....are often not the same thing, especially these days with classic cars.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
IMHO - a CLEAN running and driving Sonett which needs nothing to really get from point A to B should be in the $2500-$5000 range. A show car which is above average I would place from the $5,000 and up - based upon what year, options, and overall condition. A car which is compelte and does not run, and has MINOR rust issues should be more like $200 - $1000 IMHO. Now - if that ruff car runs and drives and feels solid, but needs work - $500-$2000 would be my range.

I use this logic on ANY Vintage Saab either 2 stroke or V4. Saab 99's and 900's have a whole different scheme :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a few Sonetts that have shown up for sale on Bringatrailer.com, check these out in their various stages to give you an idea. Also look through eBay closed auctions and a Craigslist search engine. Those would be my go-to places for pricing an older car like that. Kelly Blue Book has a feature for pricing classic cars too, give that a try.
if you read my last quote and first you would see that I have a sonnet III already and I am trying to get a bases for there pricing not a sonnet II I'm not trying to buy one ether just answer a question.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMHO - a CLEAN running and driving Sonett which needs nothing to really get from point A to B should be in the $2500-$5000 range. A show car which is above average I would place from the $5,000 and up - based upon what year, options, and overall condition. A car which is compelte and does not run, and has MINOR rust issues should be more like $200 - $1000 IMHO. Now - if that ruff car runs and drives and feels solid, but needs work - $500-$2000 would be my range.

I use this logic on ANY Vintage Saab either 2 stroke or V4. Saab 99's and 900's have a whole different scheme :)
Thanks thats what I was looking for

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Thanks thats what I was looking for
no problem!

FYI if it's rusted beyond repair and it's "all there" otherwise - FREE - $500. The less the better is how I see them. Depends how much is still left usable and what you actually need out of it.

Where is the one you are looking to buy located? I know of one 1974 Sonett 3 in PA which was for sale not too long ago - I went to look at, it was the $500 or less parts car sadly. Rust had eaten away it's floor and trunk pans. It was a fairly nice shell and complete otherwise. Sadly the seller was lookin for more like $1500 (which would have been fine had the floors not been as far gone as they were and it was "drivable."

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no problem!

FYI if it's rusted beyond repair and it's "all there" otherwise - FREE - $500. The less the better is how I see them. Depends how much is still left usable and what you actually need out of it.

Where is the one you are looking to buy located? I know of one 1974 Sonett 3 in PA which was for sale not too long ago - I went to look at, it was the $500 or less parts car sadly. Rust had eaten away it's floor and trunk pans. It was a fairly nice shell and complete otherwise. Sadly the seller was lookin for more like $1500 (which would have been fine had the floors not been as far gone as they were and it was "drivable."
It is sitting in my friends back yard in Sacrament Pa. It was bought for his dad but he prefered a first gen miata. Rust free, a runner with some miner issues to be addressed. I was not looking for an other car project, I have not got all I want to do to the 96 done yet, but I can't leave that nice of a car rust away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts