Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran the philadelphia Distance Run Rock and Roll half-marthon, 13.1 miles. Been running for a year now. I started getting in shape when I knew my job was ending ( and no one cared where I was all day) I Lost 25 lbs, now at my college weight, 22 BMI, 13.5% body fat -although my skin does not remember where it's supposed to be :razz:

I did just under 2 hrs - 1:57:21 ( started training for that goal about 8 weeks ago) top half of my age group top 30% overall.

I Felt good about it and I am in the best shape of my life right now ( also lift 2 x a week - runners style, not trying to gain.)

But yesterday and today, I feel old as sh!t, my calves are spent, I think I bruised my foot but never had any injuries for a year thanks to CHI Running...

I will take a week off and then get back into an upkeep mode, 10k 3 times a week, till I decide if I want to try it again.

One thing I did learn, I am not interested in doing 26+ ( I get bored easy and It woudl kill me)

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Drink lots of fluids and eat some bananas. The potassium will help get rid of the lactic acid that has built up in the legs. That comes from when the body starts to break down the muscle to get energy and the lactic acid is the by product.

Congrats though! That is a huge accomplishment, keep it up!

How old are you if you don't mind being asked.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Drink lots of fluids and eat some bananas. The potassium will help get rid of the lactic acid that has built up in the legs. That comes from when the body starts to break down the muscle to get energy and the lactic acid is the by product.
True for before and post workout (bananas), but the next day lactic acid buildup is not usually the cause of pain, it is micro tears in the muscle tissue that will cause the pain he most likely has. Rest and fluids will heal it, a protein supplement will help in recovery as well, but not necessary unless it is put under repeated strain. I am a personal trainer by the way and am working on my Kinesiology degree.

That is awesome however, a half marathon is a great accomplishment isn't it? The big 50 and going strong, keep up the great work.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True for before and post workout (bananas), but the next day lactic acid buildup is not usually the cause of pain, it is micro tears in the muscle tissue that will cause the pain he most likely has. I am a personal trainer by the way and am working on my Kinesiology degree.

That is awesome however, a half marathon is a great accomplishment isn't it? The big 50 and going strong, keep up the great work.
Yeah I am a stud, I have to beat off the young girls now ( but
I think they like my money (or Saabs lol) more than my bod...)

You know I work in the Pharma Biotech industry and know a little about this. I tired to find ( without success) any journal articles, if you can give me some citations I woudl be greatly appreciative.

There is a ton of research from the early 60's about Lactic acid and pain ( many with DOD money for the military) but not one I could find about Micro tears. Its like one day someone said "OOO look I see little bleeding in the muscle that must be causing pain the pain not lactic acid!!!" ( generally diffuse pain is not from tissue damage)

I know a little more than nothing too, I have rights to a product for recovery and it attacks lactic acid not tears

Seriously any info would be helpful

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
You know I work in the Pharma Biotech industry and know a little about this. I tired to find ( without success) any journal articles, if you can give me some citations I woudl be greatly appreciative.

Seriously any info would be helpful
That is cool, I actually did not know that. I will see if I can find some scholarly articles, or see if I can link any from my College Library.

Im sure you know the common muscle buildup conception:

When muscles are asked to do more work than they are accustomed to, they suffer minor ruptures. You'll feel these micro-tears as muscle soreness. These mini-injuries are repaired while the body rests. The resulting muscle is slightly larger than before, better able to handle the stress that caused the initial tears.
Can't get my college library site to load right now. I know I can from inside the library so I will find some tonight while I study for an Anatomy practical.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
True for before and post workout (bananas), but the next day lactic acid buildup is not usually the cause of pain, it is micro tears in the muscle tissue that will cause the pain he most likely has. Rest and fluids will heal it, a protein supplement will help in recovery as well, but not necessary unless it is put under repeated strain. I am a personal trainer by the way and am working on my Kinesiology degree.

Good call on the micro tears. Lactic acid is more of a cramp type/soreness feel not "pain".

When running XC/Track in HS, bananas were about an every day occurrence. Hell I still eat them and peanut butter now.

If you're not in pain, try to go out for a nice shorter jog. But again only if not in pain, if you're sore this will help get the crap out of your system.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Ran the philadelphia Distance Run Rock and Roll half-marthon, 13.1 miles. Been running for a year now. I started getting in shape when I knew my job was ending ( and no one cared where I was all day) I Lost 25 lbs, now at my college weight, 22 BMI, 13.5% body fat -although my skin does not remember where it's supposed to be :razz:

I did just under 2 hrs - 1:57:21 ( started training for that goal about 8 weeks ago) top half of my age group top 30% overall.

I Felt good about it and I am in the best shape of my life right now ( also lift 2 x a week - runners style, not trying to gain.)

But yesterday and today, I feel old as sh!t, my calves are spent, I think I bruised my foot but never had any injuries for a year thanks to CHI Running...

I will take a week off and then get back into an upkeep mode, 10k 3 times a week, till I decide if I want to try it again.

One thing I did learn, I am not interested in doing 26+ ( I get bored easy and It woudl kill me)
Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment! :D

I'm a runner too. I'm 44. I ran my first half marathon around 7 years ago. My time was also 1:57. Since then I've run 15-20+ half marathons and a couple of full marathons. I never set out to run full marathons & was quite content to run the half. But after I'd run so many halfs, going longer became easier. I run with music (headphones) and that helps delay the onset of insanity. :p

Your legs will feel like crap for a few days. Great idea to take a week off. Do you have another race to train for? I used to run 4 half marathons a year. I'd train for one, run it, take a week off, and then start my training over completely. This meant reducing my weekly mileage way back to week 1 of a training routine. This effectively lengthened my rest period: the week of no running followed by a low-mileage week with incremental increases in my weekly mileage from then on. The idea was to allow my body adequate recovery time, toward reducing the likelihood of injury by allowing the micro-tears time to heal.

My .02 would be to caution you against starting to run too many miles (or to run with too much intensity) too quickly after your week's rest. The more years you run, and the older we get, the more injury-prone we become. Rest, rest, rest, and feel good about resting! Dont' feel guilty.

Congratulations again! :D

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Nice work! The pain and soreness is well worth the satisfaction.

My father-in-law didn't start running until his later 40's. He skipped right into ultra-marathoning, he's now 62 and just finished his 86th ultra-marathon two weekends ago (a 71 miler in the Massanutten Mtns.)

Myself, I hate running with a passion, it's boring and makes my knees hurt, so I MTB instead. Been riding MTB for 15 years, did some racing, now I just ride for fun/exercise.

My favorite recovery drink is a big tall glass of chocolate milk, just the right combo of protein and carbs to be very beneficial.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
This is why I don't exercise, I get bored.
I have never run with music. It's amazing how much you learn to be able to handle longer distances/time the more you do it.

Back when I was good shape (high school), we did a timed 14 mile run in a little under 1hr 25min. And would consistently do 8 miles in about 40-45min. My 5k XC times were in the low low 17 mins. Though I only delt with XC to stay in shape for track. Ran mid (400-800) for that.

Due to that though is why I have such a hard time training now. Knowing what I have done before and how I just want to get like that again, but not being able to get there overnight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts