Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any SAAB expert that can tell me about the Engine in 9-3. As I understood it's a light alloy engine, but thats all I know. Is it made in Sweden? Is it a 100% GM engine, installed in other GM car's as well? Is it a better engine, when it comes to for example the cam chain? I have never understood why SAAB didn't go for a double chain, like BMW and other.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Read away.

The year range you're asking about is MY03+ sedans and MY04+ convertibles.

The 9-3 got the 'LK9' variation, current gen 2010+ 9-5's with 4-cyl engines get another version, but those may never come to the US market.

This is one of the first 'collaboratively engineered' engine packages engineered from the outset to be a flexible and adaptable platform to work in many platforms.

GM Family II engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GM | General Motors: Powertrain: Events

GM | General Motors: Powertrain: Ecotec Engines

Drew

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Any opinion about quality? Better then the Swedish machine? If I read it right, this engine was "globally engineered", so all company's under GM, had a saying? Sludge problems? Did SAAB promise a (not so smart) 18.000 miles oil change on this one too?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Thanks. Any opinion about quality? Better then the Swedish machine? If I read it right, this engine was "globally engineered", so all company's under GM, had a saying? Sludge problems? Did SAAB promise a (not so smart) 18.000 miles oil change on this one too?
Make of this what you will, but GM officially recommends new internals on applications over 250 hp. Some tuners push that envelope to 300bhp.

The previous generation 4-cyl engines are fine to 300 bhp

The generation before that (B204-B234) can handle 500 bhp reliably.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
see? newer isn't always better ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tnx. I bought the Chilton bok for Saturn Vue, and got some basics about this engine. They changed (if the heads are identical for SAAB and Saturn) the cam lifting system to one that is easier to reach, and work around the valve springs. Also put rollers in there, possible less friction in the cam system?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts