Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did some "math" and have come to the realization that the amount of money I make "working" far exceeds the money I waste on time spent doing my own car repairs. I do enjoy fixing the cars, however NOW that every single car I own is almost to the 200K mark, un-anticipated repairs are happening more frequently, and it is not exactly conducive to what I do when there are days where every car needs something fixed. Car repair is a basically a hobby for me, and "needing" to do repairs, makes it a little less fun.

I had come to the same conclusion in 2006 when I bought the 1999 9-5. It has been an excellent car and done what I needed it to do, however it is now an almost 200K mile saab. It works fine, runs great actually, but I know SOMETHING is going to go wrong with it, and kill a good day which can run me about $2000-5000.

Of course, I am not talking about getting rid of my "old cars", but i think having a fairly reliable new/newer car in the fleet would be very handy for getting my "old cars" all back up to snuff. Also, if it was under warranty it would be even better. This makes the "new-car" option seem better.

I would prefer the following specifications.

Any drive system combination I can live with however AWD would be nice.
A car, not a truck. Wagon or hatch back would be nice as well.
MPG not that critical but 20's or better MPG would be a plus.
It needs at least as much pick-up as an old 9-5 aero, however I would prefer more. (280+HP) as anything less would be a downgrade in my eyes.
Highly prefer it to be an MT car.
After having HID's in the notchback, I want them in everything.
I like a nice interior but I can live with a bench seat and a pillow, so anything goes there.
$40,000 at the most- though obviously I would prefer NOT to spend that much. It would be a cash-sale so I should be able to have some wiggle room. I will bring a briefcase. Is there such a car that fits my specifications? I'll pop out today after a bank-stop and pick one up.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
A few new cars I would reccomend which could meet some or all of your daily needs:

Audi Q5
BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon
Volvo V50 T5 AWD
Lexus IS 250 AWD
Suzuki SX4
Saab 9-3 XWD Combie

Some Good AWD Cars with Best Gas Mileage

Pontiac Vibe: The automatic transmission variant of this affordable car provides a mileage of 25 city/ 31 highway MPG.

Subaru Legacy Wagon: This station wagon from Subaru gives a good mileage of 22-27 MPG.

Suzuki SX4: This is one of the most affordable AWD cars, with a mileage of 21 MPG in the city and 28 MPG on the highway.

Audi A4 Avant Quattro: The manual transmission variant of this Audi car gives a mileage of 20 MPG on city roads and around 28 MPG on highways.

Mitsubishi Eclipse: This is a good looking sports car from Mitsubishi which has a mileage of 21-28 MPG.

Subaru Impreza: The Subaru Impreza is believed to give a mileage of about 20 MPG in cities and 27 MPG on highways.

Toyota Venza: This car from Toyota runs 21 MPG in the city and approximately 29 MPG on the highway.

Mercury Milan: This is a mid-size saloon manufactured by Mercury and has a mileage of a good 23/34 MPG.

Lexus IS 250: The mileage of this beautiful car from Lexus is estimated at 21 mpg on city roads and 29 mpg on highways.

Volvo S60: This Volvo car gives a good mileage which is averaged to around 24 miles per gallon.

Volvo S40: The fuel economy of the Volvo S40 is expected to be about 21/ 29 miles per gallon.

Saab 9-3: The average mileage of the Saab 9-3 is recorded to be somewhere around 28-30 MPG.

Mercedes E320 4Matic: This luxury car from Mercedes gives a mileage of 20-27 miles per gallon.

Volkswagen Passat Wagon: This Volkswagen car is claimed to provide a considerable mileage of 22 MPG in cities and 31 MPG on highways.
FROM: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/awd-cars-with-best-gas-mileage.html

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
$40k opens you up to so many options, but here are some suggestions:

B6 and up S4's
Subaru STi
New Impreza WRX (insane vehicles)
Audi A3 TDI
Mercedes C280 or CLK if you really feel like spending
Acura Tl-S

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
10,049 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
IS there any way to get a TTiD SportWagon into the states? lol
Likely not, I don't imagine it passes the new emissions standards.

The A3 TDI actually looks like a nice car, though I don't think Delorean really needs a new car, he just needs to occasionally fix his old ones :roll:

My vote is for an E63 AMG wagon, but they're a hair too pricey at this point.

Paul

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Likely not, I don't imagine it passes the new emissions standards.

The A3 TDI actually looks like a nice car, though I don't think Delorean really needs a new car, he just needs to occasionally fix his old ones :roll:

My vote is for an E63 AMG wagon, but they're a hair too pricey at this point.

Paul
Agreed on the A3TDI - any Audi TDI really seems decent. What ever happend with the Audi 200's "situation" - if that had a fuel tank it would be fine I thought? I gave him a connection even to a 200 Wagon being parted in NY which could have had a cheap fuel tank score.

Personally I think DeLorean needs to figure out WHAT vehicle he really needs - Station Wagon, Sedan - and go from there. AWD leaves the options way too open. Plus - how big? Like I said - a nice new Ford Fiesta would serve him well imho. Cheap, warranty, cheap fuel, great MPG's, and it meets MODERN safety standards.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Given your requirements I think a new or nearly new Impreza WRX would fill your needs exactly. If you go used, make sure you get an 09 or newer. The 08's engine is limp wristed and it's suspension soft. They fixed this in 09, and they seems to have fixed the fix with the '11 as it has harder bushings and firmer suspension.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Well, aside from the allure of that damned benz wagon (mwwroooh), I think that a warranty vehicle would be best off being an audi, vw or porsche. They're the closest dealers to our house for leaving vehicles to be mended.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Or the fact that he's been doing his thing for around 10 years.
It's very easy to save money when you don't live like a rock star. Remember always ask for a cup for water at Taco bell and never ever buy bottled water.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Or the fact that he's been doing his thing for around 10 years.
It's very easy to save money when you don't live like a rock star. Remember always ask for a cup for water at Taco bell and never ever buy bottled water.
Ya know - I pioneered that move as well as many others he continues on a regular basis. I molded his cheapness :)

Ask him how you get pop corn at the movies for free ;) That's another good tip I told him - and the "free refills" at BK and any other fast food place (save your cup - it's good for at least a week worth of free re-fills)

Ya don't get rich by spending money! But the less you spend the more uncle Sam takes - so you must spend it every so often.

EDIT: take a trip over to the local Porsche/Audi/VW dealer and start test driving - see wha tyou like. Then start haggling.

1 - 20 of 195 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.