Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided that keeping the whale tail I have would probably be wise, due to it's condition.

The fiberglass is pretty lousy but that should be somewhat straight forward to repair with a kit, and some time.

However the rubber itself is in fine shape, though it is starting to seperate from the tail. Before I start tearing it off, is there anything I should do to keep from damaging things more?

Is the rubber glued right to the spoiler, or is there a mold that it's attached to?

:saab

·
Registered
661 Posts
On mine the rubber was not glued to the fiberglass. The screws were the only things holding the rubber in place. So I don't believe the whaletail came with the rubber glued to the fiberglass. However, if yours is previously refurbished, it's possible someone epoxied the rubber to the tail, particularly if the original mounting hardware was rusty.

I would undo the metalwork first, then see whether it's been epoxied. If your hardware is in rough shape due to rust, soak it for a long time with liquid wrench or a similar product (I soaked mine for days) before attempting to remove the nuts. Be very patient. Be prepared to drill-out and re-tap.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, I have not looked into the construction too much. I plan to tonight. It has had some repair, so who knows...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Here's a photoshoped version of what I did to the mounting ribs underneath. I added aluminum pieces to screw into from through the hatch. Way easier to hit than the standard 1/2" wide ribs.

Here's where I drilled the drain holes in the valley beneath the rubber part.

(these are 9000Andrew's photos)

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Delightful.

I assume the holes on either side of the molded stay in the first picture is where the rubber attaches?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Wish I had this amount of detail when I owned my whail tail - might have restored mine and bought a c900 to put it on! lol Nice details here fellas! I am making this a sticky!

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice. I'm hoping to get some good pictures of mine as I take it apart tonight.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I'll finish updating my whaletail re-do thread this weekend. On my whaletail, I removed the rubber and had to "surgically" remove the complete metal strip. Then, I had to use the windshield urethane stuff that turbocon mentions in his pdf to repair one crack on the upper part of the rubber. After, I epoxied new studs into the rubber, instead of installing a whole new strip. Pics to come in my thread, hopefully by Sunday.

·
Registered
914 Posts
If y'all dont mind me thread jacking has anyone ever put a whale tail on a car that never had a wing on it at all? or has any advice on placement?

Thanks!
Alex

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
It should fit on any c900 with a hatch, weather it ever had a wing or not. The rear window weatherstrip goes over the top lip of the wail tail to shed water. Just put the wing on the car so that the weatherstrip fits over the little channel on the whale tail and draw a line around the whale tail base with a magic marker (not a Sharpie, one that will wash off with water) or with tape. Flip the tail up so that you can look underneath to see where the mounting ribs are and mark that on the car too. Take off the interior trim panel. Then just drill holes through the hatch for the mounting screws where the mounting ribs will contact the hatch. Make note of where the cross braces and such are on the back side of the sheet metal. You will hit it in a couple places, and will have to drill a larger hole in the underside of it so that you can pass the screw through to the cars exterior sheet metal. On cars with wings, They have little caps over the larger holes. Since you'll be putting the interior trim panel back on, they are really not necessary.

Weatherstrip over a whale tail. Note that the gap where the weatherstrip goes up over the edge of the tail is filled with urethane or silicone.

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Did you ever finish repairing your whale tail Andy? The rubber is separating from the fiberglass on mine, so I might make an attempt to fix it. Thought I'd see if you had anything to add to turbocon's PDF.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Does anyone know the true purpose of the metal band that is inside the rubber? I know it give the rubber rigidity, but who cares about that when it is fastened to the fiberglass. They could of embedded nut plates inside the rubber instead of that long strip. Does the duck tail spoiler have a metal band embedded in it too?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Don't know whether the ducktail has the metal in it. Don't think so, but not sure.

I've read of others cutting the metal out their whaletail completely. I cut out a bent portion about 6 to 8 inches long using a dremel, straightened it (the metal had bent from either rust or impact, I couldn't tell which), then re-installed it, sealing up the rubber again afterward. The cuts are completely hidden. I kept the metal & screws because I wanted to maintain rigidity at the attach points.

I used Sika-Flex to seal up the cut-open rubber. A product like that might work to attach the rubber to the wing. But I recommend you keep the metal & screws if you can. I wouldn't trust an adhesive-type product by itself on a rare & valuable item like a whaletail.

Incidentally, I used brake fluid to soften up the rubber & restore it to shape. Just don't get any on your paint - it'll strip it right off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts