Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so the other night i have noticed on my way home that my A-piller was leaking. it was raining pretty bad out and i had goten in and out of the car like twice. My A-piller was soaking wet and was dripping onto my clutch leg. I grabbed a shirt and soaked up what i could of the leak and it just keep re-appearing seamed like it was a constant leak once i opened the doors. It has never leaked before just when i had goten out during the rain.

So i got home and checked the seals and didn't notice any point where water could have been getting by. Anyone got some clue's? in the pic i highlighted the areas were water appeared, the lower circle along a-piller is where it was dripping and the one by the sun visor just kinda looks like a water mark was left never seen water there for sure though.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Remove the A-Pillar and spray it hard with a hose from all angles to see where it leaks. Windscreen may have a bad seal on it..... try putting a layer of sealer or clear chaulk around it and letting it dry if so-then re-test it for leaks.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
Check your sunroof for leaks. Most likely its leaking and the water is rolling down to your A-Pillar.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had lots of Mazdas where the roof rusted around the windshield because the idiots who installed them didn't seal or paint them properly, and they rusted so bad they always rained inside.

But on your case, I'll say sunroof drain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a typical problem in our cars! Almost always it is due to the sunroof drain being clogged or broken.

I had a driver's side A-pillar leakage that had been going on for the last year or so. Every car wash would cause the A-pillar cover to become wet, and with last winter's major rains, it got soaked, and I had to use a rag to sop it up.

We just had record rainfall here in SoCal. This time, the leakage was much, much worse. Basically, the driver's side foot-well got flooded. The foam under the foot-well carpet was thoroughly soaked, and I spent a most of the day peeling up the carpet (had to remove the front seat) and using a drier on it to dry it out. There are a lot of wires under there, and I worried about shorting out that TWICE module under the front left seat.

After determining from these boards that this is related somehow to the sunroof drain, I pulled down the driver's-side headliner (peel off the door seal, unscrew the visor and hand-grab, then prise off the A-pillar cover), and saw the sunroof drain, in all its glory, with the drainage tube dangling in the wind. The nipple that secures the drain hole to the plastic drain tube broke, and the tube became detached. So, instead of water from the sunroof draining down the tube and out the driver's-side wheel well, it leaked down the A-pillar and all the way into the foot well.

I talked to my mechanic about it. He said the dealer could take care of it, but they would probably do so by replacing the whole sunroof drain pan. It is doubtful they would sell just the nipple. And replacing the drain pan is an expensive repair. He recommended taking it to a place that specializes in interiors, as they would likely be familiar with this issue and be able to perform it for a reasonable cost.

In the meantime, I have the drain hole sealed with RTV silicone, until I can get this permanently fixed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the sunroof drain tube is clogged, it's not too difficult to repair. From inside the sunroof opening, you can blow some compressed air down the drain opening. If it's not clogged, you should hear air coming out of the wheel well (each drain connects to the corresponding wheel well). If it is clogged, you should be able to tell too. You can probably clear a clogged tube with a plumbers snake, if compressed air proves ineffective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts