Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip to West Virginia for a week to 10 days. Anyone from there or with experience from that area who can enlighten me of where to go? I want to see country roads, small villages, and I'm more interested in nature sightings rather than museums or monuments.

Haven't decided if I'll fly there (and rent) or drive to there (from AL) so I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
OK, so the big thing to know about West Virginia is that the dude-guy who made sure Washington, D.C., gave the state its fair shake (and usually a bit more) just died.

R.I.P. R.C.B.

Why should you or anyone else care?

Well, it means that as soon as they can get their mitts on it, the Amtrak service through the state will likely disappear. And you'll miss out on neat li'l places like Thurmond, now a national park and historic site in the midst of former coal country.

You can basically get on the train in Birmingham and ride it up to Charlottesville and switch.

Then again, West Virginia has a lot of good driving roads, too. Tough call. Beautiful state, though.

·
Registered
757 Posts
From there. Amazing place. Grew up in Charleston.

Morgantown is an awesome small town. All the college kids are coming back this week, so if you're looking for good bar scene, great stop. EAT AT BLACK BEAR if you go there, best food ever.

Check out Davis and the Canaan Valley area. Skiing and cycling mecca of the east. Small towns, amazing roads, great people. Seneca rocks is nearby and is a cool stop.

Eastern panhandle... check out Shepardstown and Harpers Ferry, great small towns with great history.

New River Gorge area in the southern part of the state is great for rafting, kayaking, climbing, whatever you're into really. Fayetteville has a lot of good little restaurants in it as well.

Not much along the ohio river side of the state... stay up in the big mountains! Will be glad to answer any other questions you have.

-Chad

·
Registered
587 Posts
The roads around the area of Parsons/Thomas are fantastic driver's roads. I go there every year with a bunch of guys from around the country to camp and drive.

I may as well whore this here too. The first is a mount in my Viggen, the second video is in my friend's brandy-spankin' new RX-8.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all! I loved the idea of the train, but I think I'll save it for the whole experience from NY to Chicago at some point. And I have to admit it's waaaaay cheaper than I thought.

stay up in the big mountains! Will be glad to answer any other questions you have.
I like this idea!

I may as well whore this here too
:p Can you mark the youtube road on google map please?

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
If you do the New York to Chicago run, do yourself a favor and go through Pennsylvania. Now, it's no secret I'm a big cheerleader for the state, but I rode across it last year and it was a nice, winding path through the state, complete with enough of a layover in Pittsburgh to grab dinner and a play before heading on to Cleveland.

The trip across New York? Well, I haven't made the whole thing, but went from Syracuse to Albany to New York City this summer. Dear lord. It was flat and a really tedious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts