Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 94' Aero to the Ascutney Hillclimb in VT over the weekend. Car is stock, except for a MikeD tune, and I was running on a set of Kumho MX tires. I took the first run on Saturday, getting a feel for the car and the hill. This was my second time at this hill, and I was happy to be three seconds faster on my second run, compared to my fastest time in the previous event where I drove a stock 92' 900 turbo.

By the end of the second run the flex pipe had completely broken off, the last half mile of the course is very rough and probably helped speed up the flex pipes demise.

I took my third run, with the cars new exhaust note, and everything went well for the first couple miles. I was starting to push, and the car was running well. The first issue that arose, at turn 16, was the windshield washers and wipers came on. At first I figured I must have hit the stock, but when they kept running i figured it was no big deal, just a small electrical issue. I was pleased when they finally shut off after what seemed a long time. By now I'm about 2.5 miles up the hill, and I start to smell something. I check the temp, a bit high, but nothing too worrying. I slowed down a bit to look in my mirrors and check for leaking coolant or oil, nothing, I figure Ill take it easy to the top and see whats up. Right at this point the smell gets considerably worse, and I start seeing smoke coming from the right side of the car. When the smoke started to fill the cabin I was getting worried, and looking for a safe place to pull off. I was only one straight and a corner away from a checkpoint, with a generous pull off, so I continued there where I shut down the car.

Opening the hood revealed a mess of melted plastic and wiring. The cause? The downpipe had snapped right at the turbo, and the exhaust was blowing straight into the engine compartment.

After the run group was done, I coasted the car back down the hill. ( Which was fun with no engine braking, or power assisted brakes) Left it parked, and went to autozone, where I picked up safety wire, and an exhaust repair kit, which I used to fix the dp enough to run the car. However, after just a short drive back to my campsite, poof, more smoke. This time it was coming from under the dash, and it was thick. I shut the car off and removed the key, but the acc, warning lights, guages etc. stayed on and the smoke kept coming. I quickly found some pliers and disconnected the battery, which stopped the smoking. By this time it was getting late, so I picked up in the morning, removing the dash and looking for the cause of all the smoke. Not finding anything obvious(there was enough smoke, something, somewhere has to be really fried) I ended up just removing fuses for things that were not vital. But, with the battery hooked up acc, warning lights etc. still came on with no key. This I cured by removing one of the relays under the dash. Now the car won't start. Sh*t. I checked spark, fine. Injectors are pulsing, but the fuel pump isn't coming on. A quick test reveals no power at the pump. (Ive already been through all the fuses, which were fine) Im assuming something that initially was melted, caused the short that created the smoke, which involved something for the fuel pump. The best solution was to run the fuel pump straight from the battery. So I ran a wire through the car, to the battery. With a fuse inline, hooked to spade connecters next to the drivers seat, I could turn it on and off. With the pump now getting power the car started and ran. After wiring the DP back into position with the safety wire, and wrapping the gap with a sheet of aluminum, the car was ready for the 2 hour journey home.

It made it! Well, almost, the engine cut out halfway up the driveway. Didn't bother to investigate, but it's not the fuel pump. Now I just need some new pieces of wiring harness, a washer fluid tank, belt tensioner, and a few other odds and ends. Should be fun. Huge post, but still a summary of a long weekend.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New exhaust in the near future?
Yes, probably just a new 3in DP. To be fair, it was safety wire, and the set up was actually pretty sturdy. As far as being a conflagration, on course, things like this happen and the event is prepared for them. What happened after that, driving to my campsite, that was a very tense moment. Believe me, I was very cautious getting it ready to drive home. Also, my back up plan was the fire extinguisher mounted in the passenger foot well, were things to go there.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Get em out and racing!! sick story and im happy to hear you got over the issue

im asuuming this is in the older 9k aero? not that creampuff you just picked up? (please done take the good one racing, its to nice for track duty)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.