Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past week, my house caught on fire from a love seat pushed up against a plug. I got out in time and have insurance, but lost most of everything. Thank goodness I have a detached garage where my cars are, so no damage at all to them. BUT, I was on the final clear coat of the whaletail I just bought in the basement (where the fire started)- The tail is toast.

I was soooo pissed cause it took me 15 years to find one I could afford and I found it for $130 bucks! it was brand new, so that was even crazier. I wanted a replica because I didn't want to restore an original and just couldnt afford any I found on ebay and such.

So I can hear the tears from here as people read this, but now my goal is to find a whaletail I can buy. (almost any price) PLEASE halp me find one so I can claim it on my insurance. Of course I can claim it, but I need to find one so i can get a price. Right now they really don't have anything to compare to, so they can;t put a value on it.

SO that's my story. It sucks, my life has gone upside down overnight and at this point I'm just glad I made it out. (and had insurance) so check you fire detector batteries and please pay attention to plugs and extension cords.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn glad you're ok and hope you're back on your feet soon.
Thanks. I had fire alarms that actually say "FIRE" "FIRE" in a ladies voice. That is what got me out in time. I was sleeping and who knows if the normal alarms would've woke me up. all it would've taken was for me to think it was my clock alarm and roll over or hit the snooze button. Another two minutes and the smoke would've got me...

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Sorry to hear of the crappy news, and I'm very glad you made it out safely.

As they say....you got your health, you got it all.

Whaletails can be bought. It was a SAS replica, or an OEM piece?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear of the crappy news, and I'm very glad you made it out safely.

As they say....you got your health, you got it all.

Whaletails can be bought. It was a SAS replica, or an OEM piece?
SAS replica, so hopefully i can find one easier than the original. I like the replicas better, cause they are lighter and will not degrade like the originals. I had painted it exactly like the original & even used a router to put a thin line where the rubber met the original. It looked awesome and all i had left to do was clearcoat. :(

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Really sorry to hear this. Whaletails can be replaced, but having my house burn would be devastating to me--can't imagine what you're dealing with right now. Glad to hear you personally made it out OK.

I think that SAS may be making them again. I thought I saw them back up the last time I went to their website.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad you made it out.
pics are required.
I don't have photos of the whale tail, but here is some of the house.

It definitely sucks beyond imaginable, but I'd be even more upset if i didn;t have insurance or the cars got damaged. (they are like my kids) But life will go on and I'm always thinking positive, so hopefully this happening to me has made everyone involved check their houses and made them safer. I know of at least three people who told me they found singe marks and melted laundry baskets after hearing about my house. 0 Everything happens for a reason and If i saved it from happening to someone else, i can live with it.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Fire is an unpredictable thing, glad you are okay. My house nearly went up a few weeks ago actually, a spark caught the insulation under a part of my house (where there is no basement) My dad was working under there when it happened so he was batting the flames and managed to put it out, burning his hands slightly in the process (thank goodness for fire retardant gloves). Just be thankful you got out in time, and that noone was hurt in the process.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Sucks man, Glad no one was hurt. Things can be replaced, people not so much.

Good luck with the insurance.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
no exterior damage? prolly a good thing.

looks eminently repairable. rewire the whole sumbitch and cut/paste the burnt sections.
u can do this yourself-you're pretty handy.

looks like a $40-$60k claim. use insurance money for a f355 or f360 6spd. trust me, its nirvana. the 355 is the looker, but the 360 will be a better ownership proposition.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no exterior damage? prolly a good thing.

looks eminently repairable. rewire the whole sumbitch and cut/paste the burnt sections.
u can do this yourself-you're pretty handy.

looks like a $40-$60k claim. use insurance money for a f355 or f360 6spd. trust me, its nirvana. the 355 is the looker, but the 360 will be a better ownership proposition.
So far without the roof in the estimate, the insurance is well over 100k. It will get higher as the uncover more things. There is a lot more damage than you'd think. -Siding melted, all new floors, ceilings, windows were melted, etc, etc. Not to mention it was hot-water heat and all that stuff, then with completely new electric, plumbing, blah, blah. It's crazy how much damage there ended up being.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
So far without the roof in the estimate, the insurance is well over 100k. It will get higher as the uncover more things. There is a lot more damage than you'd think. -Siding melted, all new floors, ceilings, windows were melted, etc, etc. Not to mention it was hot-water heat and all that stuff, then with completely new electric, plumbing, blah, blah. It's crazy how much damage there ended up being.
ok, then a f430.

see? things are looking up! :D

my sister just had the house roof cave in under the snow due to some a/c or heater equipment failure and the snow weight. hers is a 8000sf +/- house and they're looking at about 250k in repairs. pennsylvania FTL

·
Registered
661 Posts
Really sorry about this, Paul. Hope it all goes well with the insurance company.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah!:D:D:D:D SAS is still selling the fiberglass tail! I just ordered it and hopefully i can have it painted and installed before Carlisle. Paid twice as much as I got the first one for, but I don't care at this point. I have been dreaming of putting the thing on since I found one, then to have it burn was so disappointing. It's funny cause the list of things I lost had the whaletail in the top 3 things lol.

So hopefully this puts things back on track for me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts